Chapter Sixteen

T'Challa didn't have even a moment's reservation in allowing Cleo and James to take up residence in the unused former guest house. There was a good amount of work to be done and James was taking on the bulk of it. He seemed to like working with his hands and it kept him busy.

Cleo had been at the clinic most of the day; she liked to schedule multiple procedures in the same day to knock them out, but it could make for a long day on her feet. When she finished up, she knew she'd find James at the house so she went directly there.

She opened the door, which now unlocked biometrically thanks to the tech that Shuri had installed. Allowing the door to close behind her she walked into the foyer with a yawn, covering her mouth as she did. "James?" she called out, not entirely sure where he was in the house.

Hearing his name, James turned his head towards the sound. "In the kitchen!" he called, then turned to continue putting new tile on the backsplash behind the counter.

Cleo made her way toward the kitchen and smoothed her hand over her hair, still constrained in the high bun she'd put it in earlier. As she crossed the threshold, her smile brightened. "That looks great so far, baby," she said as she approached him, stopping beside him to press a kiss to his cheek.

"You said you liked the pearlescent blue, so I thought we should go with it," he grinned, turning to face her. "How was the clinic today? I know you had that critical case yesterday."

She hopped up onto the kitchen island to get herself off of her feet. "Busy. I had to do a secondary surgery for the case from yesterday. I'm not sure she's gonna make it but I'm crossing my fingers," she explained, swinging her legs as she sat. "But we will see."

"Secondary surgery? Did she crash again?" James asked curiously, now leaning against the kitchen counter.

Cleo nodded and exhaled heavily, smoothing her hands over her face. "I'm glad I was there, though. If I'd been here, I'm not sure I could've gotten there in time." Cleo was a quiet perfectionist. She had studied hard, continued to actually, and she had the best technology that the world could offer at her fingertips. She was skilled surgically and she loved saving lives. It was losing them that was hard for her. It seemed to hit her harder than others at times. "The circle of life moves on."

James sighed quietly before he walked up to stand between her legs, resting his hands on her hips. "You've done all you can, babe. That's what matters."

Her lips turned down a little and she averted her eyes to the floor. "I know... I know that's true," she replied, voice nearly catching in her throat, but she quickly cleared it. "Part of the job. Not everyone makes it. It's just not my favorite part. I'm alright."

"It's no one's favorite part." He kissed her forehead softly before pulling away and tucking a free strand of hair behind her ear. "I'm here to help you through it all."

Cleo raised her eyes to find his, a small smile able to pull onto the edges of her expression. "Thank you, love," she said softly between them. "My feet hurt... think I could talk you into taking a break and giving me a foot massage?"

"Mmm, do I get something in return?" He teased then pecked her lips softly. "I could carry you to bed..."

Her smile grew as he teased her. "I'm sure we could come to some kind of mutual arrangement," she replied with a smirk. She extended her arms then to wrap around his shoulders. "Carry me, Sarge."

He chuckled as he lifted her easily, feeling her legs wrap around his waist. "That's a new nickname. Still trying to find one you like?" James turned and walked out of the kitchen before walking up the stairs.

Cleo shrugged with a gentle laugh. "I don't know, I just thought I'd try it. It's kinda sexy. Sarge," she replied. "You in a uniform... damn, boy."