Chapter Thirty-Two

The next time James woke, the bed was empty. He'd fallen asleep wrapped around Cleo, and at first fear filled his body. Then he heard her voice downstairs.

"Can you hand me another diaper?" Cleo asked Steve as she stood at the changing table they'd set up on the main floor of the house. "He's just completely leaked through this one."

Lying on his back, James smiled. It was midday, he could tell, and he knew he should get up.

Slowly, James sat up and stretched, hearing his right shoulder pop. He sighed, stood, and headed out of the bedroom and downstairs in just his sweats.

Cleo finished up the diaper she was working on and carefully leaned in to press a series of kisses to Grant's face before she moved to pick him back up. As she turned, she saw James and smiled gently. "Say hi daddy," she greeted, gently bouncing an awake infant on her shoulder, turning so James could see his face.

James smiled, his face softening instantly. "Hi baby boy," he cooed. "Did you sleep well?"

"Daddy Steve said for almost three whole hours," Cleo answered. "And it was almost the same for me. You look better rested, too."

"You do too, sweetheart." He kissed her forehead softly. "Do you feel better?"

"A little," she answered with a small smile, swaying gently with Grant. "I talked to Shuri and that was helpful. She thinks she can make a formula out of my breast milk, which makes me feel better when superboy here runs me dry."

James smiled and rubbed Cleo's back. "We're all in this together, baby. Any help we can give you, we will do it."

"I know," she assured both herself and him. "I think I just can't take sleep for granted. If he's sleeping, I should try to be sleeping. But then I worry that I'm neglecting the two of you or something around the house, or...". She sighed softly at herself. "See? The brain spins."

"It's alright honey," he soothed. "It's an adjustment for all of us. We're not neglected in any way. We love you. Both of you."

She smiled sweetly and leaned back, finding his lips for a soft kiss. "I am hungry, though, do you think one of you could heat me up something to eat?" she asked, glancing between the two men.

"I can fix you anything you want. What're you in the mood for?" Steve asked, putting down the book he was reading.

"A grilled cheese?" she suggested, fairly sure they at least had those basic ingredients in the house. "I would do it, but I really don't want to put him down right now." Grant was wide awake and she wanted to enjoy him when he wasn't crying for her.

Steve nodded. "I'm on it, honey."

James watched as Steve rounded the island and began cooking before he looked down and gently caressed Grant's head. "He's so little."

"He didn't feel that little when he was inside me, I promise," Cleo remarked warmly, glancing back over her shoulder at Steve. "Who knows how fast a super-baby will grow. We might want to cherish him being this small."

"We can do that," James assured. "We can take as many photos and videos that you want."

"I want to be in the moment with him too," she mused. "I don't want to take so many pictures that I don't experience him. Does that make sense?"

James nodded. "Of course."

Steve sat a plate on the kitchen island with a grilled cheese and some chips on it. "Here, honey."

"Thank you, babe," she said as she turned toward James. "Want to take him while I eat?"

"Sure." James gently took Grant into his arms and cradled the tiny boy to his chest. He kissed the infant's head and took in his scent. It was honestly the best thing he could think of smelling.