Chapter Eight

The afternoon had passed peacefully with the company of Steve and James. Eventually, the three had parted ways and Cleo went about her evening. She returned to the clinic one more time to ensure all of the animals were tucked in safely before she made her way back home. She curled up on the couch and eventually drifted off to sleep there. 

It was a few hours later when she roused, the light from the TV flashing to wake her and she rubbed her eyes, sitting up. She ran her fingers through her long, dark hair that she had released from its ponytail and as she stood up to move herself to her bedroom, she caught a glimpse of a light on in the house across the water from her. There was James, standing outside while Eagle wandered around. She wondered if he had slept at all yet; she hoped he had.

Cleo considered just going to bed, but she felt drawn to James. She donned a long sweater and wrapped it around herself and slipped on some shoes before she stepped outside and began to make her way over to James's home. Eagle caught sight of her first and ran towards her and a soft laugh escaped her as she knelt down to catch him as he got to her. "Hey buddy," she greeted pleasantly, petting him before she stood up again and looked up to meet James's gaze. She began to approach him again and wrapped her arms loosely around herself. "What are the odds I'd run into you here?" she asked with a small tease.

James turned to Cleo and chuckled. "I know right?" He grinned at her before looking down at Eagle just in time to see him squat low to the ground and pee. "Good boy," he praised. When he looked back up at Cleo, he noticed how much she hugged herself. "Are you cold?" he asked. "It's a little breezy tonight."

"Oh, I just need a minute to get used to it. I'm fine, thanks," Cleo replied, not wanting him to worry about that. "Couldn't sleep? Have you gotten any sleep yet tonight?" she asked gently as she stepped in closer and looked up at him.

"Nightmare," he answered simply, shrugging his shoulders. "I slept a little. Not much. But I'll crash again eventually."

A faint frown crossed onto Cleo's expression, but she didn't linger on it. This was his reality right now. She nodded and brushed some of her long hair behind her ear. "Well, if you think you might be up for a while, I have an idea of something you could do to pass the time..."

James raised an eyebrow at her, not minding that she could barely see him in the dark. "What do you have in that pretty head of yours?" he asked.

Pretty? Wow, it hasn't felt this good to be called that in a long time. A smile she couldn't deny crossed her expression and she pursed her lips a little. "How do you feel about stargazing?" she asked, meandering a bit closer to him.

"I haven't done that since I was a teenager... I think," James commented, an easy smile showing on his face. "Unless I did it while on the field... but I don't remember."

"Well let me assure you that Wakandan skies are a special sight," she shared. "If you're going to be up anyway... I could show you where the best view is." She felt a faint flush of nerves in her belly, hoping she wasn't being too forward with the suggestion.

James looked down at Eagle then back up at Cleo. "Should I bring Eagle? Or leave him with Steve?"

"He can come with us," she said with a sure nod. Cleo clicked her tongue a little to get the pup's attention and she stepped in beside James to walk in step with him. She would lead the way. Their walk wouldn't be far, but there was a slight climb to the top of a valley. "We have very little pollution here," she explained, absently pulling her hair over one shoulder. "It's a completely different kind of view."

As they reached the steepest part of the path, James reached out and placed his hand on the small of Cleo's back. "I like looking at the stars from the house, but I normally have a fire lit."