Chapter Thirteen

The next month seemed to pass in a blur. Steve returned to the states, but promised to visit again as soon as he could, Eagle was in his ornery phase and trying to get into everything, and the sessions were... going. Only two more words had been disconnected, but Shuri had yet to find out how to prevent James from passing out after she was finished doing so. The last session had caused him to be out for almost two whole days, which put everyone on edge, causing sessions to go on hold again while Shuri did more research.

James was currently walking to the animal clinic after having a morning check up with Shuri. He'd been given news that was good news, but he didn't know how Cleo was going to take it.

"Hold still..." Cleo coached as she held a baby leopard. It had gotten itself caught up in some brush and ended up with a wound after finally releasing itself. She lightly clicked her tongue as she finished a stitch and once she was finished, she was able to release it back onto the table. She was about to return him to his crate to continue healing when she heard the door. "In back," she called out, the baby leopard on her shoulder as she walked with it toward the rows of oversized crates.

When James walked into the back medical room, he smiled as he watched her return the cub to its crate. "Good afternoon, doll," he said softly, knowing she'd be excited to see him. He'd had to leave for the palace early that morning.

Her expression lit up as she heard his voice. "Hi baby," she said brightly, quickly crossing the space to wrap her arms around him. She raised up onto her toes and pressed a kiss against his lips. "How are you feeling? How was your check up?" she asked as she pulled off the latex gloves she'd been wearing for the wound care.

"I'm alright. Shuri says my brain scans are staying steady and the three words do nothing when she says them," he answered, keeping his one arm wrapped around her. "I do have some news though."

Relief washed over Cleo's expression and she smoothed her hand lightly over the back of his neck. Her brows furrowed, though, at the mention of news. "What is it?" she asked, coaching herself not to assume the worst.

"Shuri has given me a day. For my surgery," he answered. "They'll do the new dock for my arm next week."

Surgery? It wasn't clear to her immediately but as he spoke, her eyes opened wider in surprise. "You're getting your arm?" she asked, wanting to be very sure she understood. "Oh my God, James... how do you feel about that?". She desperately didn't want to respond the wrong way.

"I'm... nervous. But I'm excited too," he answered. "I'll have to get the base before the arm can be attached. It will have to heal."

Cleo nodded attentively, fingers playing in the base of his hair. She could feel his nerves but they weren't necessarily bad. "Okay, next week... wow, that's so soon. I'm so happy for you, baby." She caught his lips once more before lowering herself down onto her feet. "That means that soon... you'll be able to really wrap me up. In your arms."

James smiled brighter as he let her pull away. "I can't wait."

~~~~~~~

The day of the surgery arrived sooner than either of them thought it would. James was a ball of nerves, but Shuri kept him as calm as possible while she and her team prepped him then put him under.

The surgery lasted a total of six hours. Shuri was exhausted by the end but she wanted to make sure that absolutely everything was perfect for the ex assassin that had become her friend.

Once Shri finished wrapping the surgery site, she made sure James' vitals were good, then stepped out into the hall where she knew Cleo was waiting.

Minutes had started to crawl by very early on into the six hour surgery. There was no way that Cleo could find anything to fully distract herself. She wouldn't leave the palace. She had paced the building over a dozen times before she tried to sit and read. That was a joke.