Chapter Twenty-Seven

James sat back in bed later that evening, then looked over at Cleo, who'd fallen asleep early after watching a movie. "I'm happy your home," he murmured.

Sleeping in her own bed was something that Cleo wouldn't take for granted again. She'd occupied hospital beds more in the last few months than she ever had, and she was tired of it. That was why once she was in the bed she shared with James and Steve; she fell asleep quickly. Her hearing was enhanced now, though, so when James spoke, she heard him, and a small smile slipped across her lips. "Me too," she replied quietly.

He chuckled softly. "Sleep well baby doll."

"What if I don't want to sleep?" she asked, rolling over to face him with her hair wild around her.

James looked over at Cleo and raised an eyebrow. "Oh?"

A faint blush rose in her cheeks as she smiled. "I've slept a lot recently. Now that I feel good, I want to run with it."

He chuckled and shook his head at her. "That doesn't mean that you don't need your rest, doll."

She rolled her eyes at him. "Yes, okay, I know. But it's the first time in a long time that I don't look like death frozen over."

James turned to lay on his side, facing towards her. "What do you have on your mind?"

Pursing her lips, she gave him a smile. "I mean, I can think of something..." she said as she scooched over to him and reached out to brush her fingers through his hair. "I've missed being close to you."

He licked his lips, knowing just what her mind came up with, but wanting her to tease him. "Oh really? Just me? Or... both of us?"

She bit her lip, some stray dark hair falling into her face. "I'd love to have both of you," she replied, smoothing her fingers through his hair again before she glanced at the bathroom door. "Stevie..." she called out with a grin.

Steve turned from standing in front of the mirror, shaving his stubble. "Everything okay?"

Cleo winked at James before dropping her head back to speak in the direction of the bathroom. "Yeah, everything out here is better than okay. We just miss you."

With a furrowed brow, Steve turned and opened the door, his face half shaved. "What do you mean by that?"

She smiled mischievously and laughed. "You know exactly what I mean by that, Cap," she teased. "I was telling James about how much better I feel and... I don't feel like resting right now."

Steve raised an eyebrow of his own. "Would that be safe?" He questioned, her health at the forefront of his mind.

"You can have sex while you're pregnant," she laughed brightly. She pushed herself up into a seated position, fingers brushing her long dark hair out of her face. "I miss you both being so close to me..." she added with a pretend pout.

"As long as you're cleared, I wouldn't mind," Steve assured. "Just let me finish shaving."

Cleo turned her head to make a face in James's direction. "Did he just say he wouldn't mind?" she questioned incredulously with a scoff.

"Steve is proper ninety percent of the time," James nodded. He pulled Cleo to his side before nuzzling against her neck. "But he'll join us soon, I'm sure of it."

She giggled as goosebumps rose on her skin. "That's fine with me, I've missed you too after all," she replied, resting her hand on the back of James' head as she tilted her head to expose more of her neck.

James slowly licked up the side of Cleo's neck, enjoying the sweet taste of her skin. "I've missed you too."

Biting her lip, a soft sigh escaped her throat. One of her hands grasped his waist and pulled him in closer to her before it smoothed around his back. "My body might feel a little different now, it's been a while..."