54: The Jiāngshī Kyōjurō

He always dreamt of peaceful life.

He always dreamt of getting married one day.

He always dreamt of being a husband one day, maybe even having a family and to be a father if it came down to it, and just live a comfortable peaceful life, (at least, as peaceful as being a demon slayer allowed him to be).

Kyōjurō seem to find himself dreaming about that a lot, in spite of the cumbersome stress clawing at his heart.

'It is the obligation of those born strong to defend the weak. Your mission requires you to fulfill your mission properly. Don't ever forget that!' He remembers the words his mother once told him.

Those words that told him the importance of his life. The words that motivated him to be strong and use that strength in order to protect the weak.

Upon coming back to his senses, Kyōjurō finds himself lying on a cold ground. His head was buzzing with a dull ache, and it took him a few moments to properly open his eyes and struggle to sit up. Red and gold eyes blinked the last of his unconsciousness away, and when he took his surroundings in, it felt like he had been plunged in the middle of a foreboding dream.

However...something...didn't feel quite right(?)─as he began wander around aimlessly in the darkness that was an endless void. With each cautious step he took, Kyōjurō tried so hard to remember exactly where it was he is and how he'd got here?

His brain was still running wild with conflicting emotions and worry as he had a terrible sinking feeling within his gut that something was wrong. All he that seemed to come to mind was that he's supposed to be looking for someone.

"Kyō!"

That voice.

"Wake up, Kyō!"

That voice sounded so familiar? It's female and was like milk and honey, calling out to him.

"Kyō!"

Her cries sounded more frantic now as Kyōjurō stopped dead in his tracks. The gut wrenching feeling slowly grew strong as her cries echoed around him.

"P-please." Her voice sounded so very familiar to him.

"Hello?!" He finally called out.

Looking around, all Kyōjurō saw was darkness. It was cold, empty, and vast; no walls, ceiling, or ground.

Where is that voice coming from? He didn't know but, something was definitely wrong and he couldn't─for the life of him─figure out where the hell he was?

"Kyō!" Her voice called out to him again and again, and panic soon course through his blood as his heart swelled with fear.

Her voice. Suddenly, memories of her face came rushing back to him as he recalled her lovely smile, beautiful (e/c) aesthetic eyes, and warm (s/c) skin.

(Name)!

He remembered now! Yes...he was supposed to be looking for (Name)!

"Kyō!!"

"(Name)?!"

She sounded like she was in pain! Kyōjurō called out to her again─spinning around trying to pinpoint exactly where she is, But he saw no one, only darkness. Was he perhaps dreaming?