Chapter Ten

When Lucy woke, she found herself back in the car still wearing Damon's jacket. She blinked away the sleep. "Where are we?"

Damon glanced over. "Hello, sleeping beauty. We're a couple hours from home."

She groaned as she stretched. "So, what's the plan when we get back?"

He tapped the steering wheel with his thumbs. "Well, I feel like I would have noticed a grimoire tucked amongst the books in our library. I know several of the founder's kept journals, if we can find some from that time maybe it will tell us something about Emily and what happened to her things when they killed her."

"I assume we won't find those just laying around either."

He huffed a laugh. "Probably not, no."

She pulled out her phone and scrolled through her notifications. "Elena gave Caroline a vervain necklace but didn't tell her anything about it. Stefan's not sure if he's happy Elena can keep her mouth shut or angry that she's not warning Caroline."

"What's up with that?" Damon asked.

Lucy arched a brow. "With what?"

"Stefan and Caroline."

She shrugged. "Not sure. They've been spending a lot of time together though. She's an infinitely better choice than Elena. I can't imagine him going much longer without telling her the truth."

"Why don't we just take out an ad in the paper?"

"Stop it. I like Caroline. Compel Elena and Bonnie to forget."

"Wait. Bonnie knows, too?"

"Mm-hmm. Elena told her after the whole possession thing." Lucy put her feet up on the dash. "That makes me, Zach, Bonnie, Elena and Jeremy that know."

Damon reached over and shoved her feet down. "And soon to be Caroline."

Lucy put her feet back up as Damon signaled to take the next exit.

"Feet down or give me back my jacket."

She stuck her tongue out at him but dutifully returned her feet to the floor.

***

Fortunately, Stefan knew precisely where their father's journal was. Damon wasn't sure it would tell them anything, but it was a place to start. And it helped smooth the ruffled feathers from when Damon found out Stefan gave the compass to Elena. It was technically hers anyway, but that was beside the point.

Currently, Lucy was laying on the sofa with her feet on Damon's lap while they took turns reading the journal. It was boring and hard to read so they were sharing their suffering. Stefan appeared in the doorway drawing her attention.

"Where are you off to?" she asked.

"Decade dance." He turned back and forth showing her his outfit for approval.

"Looking sharp, Salvatore. Who are you taking?" She kept her fingers crossed that he would say Caroline.

"I'm escorting Caroline and Elena actually." Lucy frowned and he held up his hands. "Don't ask me. They're the ones that came up with that plan."

"Well, have a good time," she said with a wave and watched him walk away.

He hadn't been gone very long when Damon and Lucy heard a phone ringing that belonged to neither of them. Stefan's cell phone laid on a table on the other side of the library.

Lucy answered it. "Stefan's phone."

"It's Elena. Where is he?"

"On his way to yours. Forgot his phone."