Chapter Twenty-One

Lucy woke early the next morning. She dressed and made breakfast before returning to Damon's room to wake him up. She tilted her head and ran her gaze over him, appreciating the view for a moment. When she'd had her fill for the moment, she grabbed a pillow off the bed and smacked him in the face with it.

Damon sat bolt upright with a shout. His gaze darted around until it fell on Lucy and the big smile on her face. He fell back and groaned as he ran a hand down his face. "What the hell, Lucy?"

"Time to get up."

He glanced at the clock then back to her. "Why are you up? You never get up this early."

"We have things to do, Salvatore. So, get up."

He tossed the covers back and headed to his closet to find something to wear. "What's on the agenda, kitten?"

"We need to visit Caroline but first we have to pick up flowers to take with us. When we're done with that, we need to talk to John Gilbert about Katherine."

Damon popped his head out of the closet to look at her in question.

She shrugged. "If Jenna had a conversation with Katherine, I figure she was the one that attacked John. Maybe we can get confirmation from him that she's in town."

"Makes sense." He disappeared again before stepping back out as he pulled a t-shirt after his head. "Is that it?"

"Nope. Then we have to come back here and change before heading to the Lockwood's to pay our respects."

He groaned. "Do we have to? I didn't even like the mayor."

Lucy huffed a laugh. "Neither did I, but you're on the council and he's Carol's husband. Appearances must be maintained."

"So what's the story? I'm certain they aren't telling everyone he was thrown in a basement to burn with the vampires." He stepped closer to her and settled his hands on her hips. After a quick kiss, he grabbed her hand to pull her behind him as he left the room.

"Heart attack."

Damon made a noise of acknowledgement. "I smell bacon," he said as he stopped in the doorway of the kitchen.

Lucy pushed him into the room. "Your plate's in the microwave. Coffee? Tea? Blood?"

He laughed as he sat at the table with his breakfast. "I'm good on all counts. Thanks, kitten."

She kissed his cheek and ran a hand through his hair before leaving him to eat on his own.

***

Damon carried the arrangement of sunflowers as he trailed Lucy through the hospital. They arrived at Caroline's room to find her smiling and talking to Stefan as he sat beside the bed.

"Hello, beautiful," Lucy said as they entered the room. Caroline held her arms up for a hug and Lucy kissed her cheek as they embraced. "I'm so glad you're okay."

"Thanks to Damon," the blonde said cheerily as the friends separated.

"It was my pleasure, blondie. Where do you want the flowers?" She had several arrangements already along with balloons and a teddy bear.

"Hmm. Put them on the windowsill so I can stare at them. They're so pretty. Move those pink ones over to the counter." Caroline clapped her hands together in happiness.

Lucy was so relieved that her friend would be okay. The world would be much dimmer without Caroline Forbes in it.

"You okay, Luce?" Stefan asked.

Her eyes widened in surprise. "Yeah, why?"

"You're crying, sweetheart," Damon answered as he wiped the tears from her cheeks with his thumb. His brow furrowed as he looked her over.