Chapter Eighteen

A Saturday not long after found Damon and Lucy walking through the halls of the high school after being summoned by Alaric. Apparently, there was drama. Neither the vampire nor his friend were in anyway surprised.

When they finally found their way to Ric's classroom, they discovered Stefan and Elena waiting for them along with the teacher. Lucy was even less surprised to find that Elena was somehow involved in the drama.

"Sorry we're late," Damon said as they walked in.

"We just really didn't want to be here," Lucy finished.

Stefan smirked while Ric rolled his eyes. Elena just looked offended. She really needed to quit taking everything so seriously.

"So, what's up and why did we need to be here for it?" Damon asked.

"Did we interrupt you two or something? You seem very annoyed to be here," Stefan asked, narrowing his gaze as he looked between his roommates.

"I was writing a sonata," Damon answered his brother without missing a beat.

"And I was baking a cake." Lucy kept her expression blank and her voice monotone. In truth, her and Damon had been having a water balloon fight in the house but she wasn't about to admit that to the broody brother. He'd lose his shit.

Stefan continued to glare at them as if that would make them spill all their secrets.

Ric cleared his throat. "I saw Isobel last night." He didn't look very happy about it.

"Your vampire wife Isobel? That Isobel?" Lucy asked as she sat in the chair behind his desk.

Damon arched a brow. "No. The other Isobel. Seriously, Luce?"

She shrugged and swung back and forth in the chair. "Just asking." She flicked her gaze back to the teacher. "Where was she?"

"She found me at the Grill."

Well, that wasn't a surprise.

"She wanted me to deliver a message. When I refused, she followed me to the parking lot and made sure I knew it wasn't a request." Ric rubbed a hand across the back of his neck.

Damon frowned. "What was the message?"

"She wants to meet me," Elena answered.

Lucy quit messing around in the chair and leaned forward. "And she went through Ric instead of contacting Elena directly, why?

Stefan sighed. He didn't want to be here any more than his friends did but Ric had dragged him off as well as Elena. "We don't know. She literally killed people to get Elena to quit looking for her. Now this."

Lucy exchanged a look with the brothers before putting her attention on the girl. "You don't have to meet with her if you don't want to. In fact, it's probably better if you don't."

"Isobel threatened to go on a killing spree if she didn't," Ric said.

"Oh." Damon glanced at the others. "I assume that's not okay with you?"

Lucy huffed a laugh. The 'killing spree' wasn't an issue. Damon and Stefan could easily stop her. But they didn't know what she wanted or who else she may be working with. There were too many questions to make decisions just yet.

"I want to do it," Elena said with a nod of her head. "I want to meet her."

Of course, she did. That was the most dangerous option after all.

***

The next day, Elena sat inside the Grill waiting for Isobel to show up. Stefan was inside as he was the only brother Isobel had consented to being present. He was there to protect Elena and to get information for the rest of them.