Chapter Thirty

The only sound to be heard during the long drive was Lucy's quiet sobs. She curled into Damon's side and trembled while he wrapped her in his arms and whispered comforting words. Elijah was the last of her family. The last person that would always accept her for who and what she was, no matter what. There were others that were close, but it was Elijah that had been there her entire life. That had always seemed to show up just when he was needed. Hot tears ran down her face in a steady stream. There was a list of numbers she was to call in the event something happened to him but it could wait. The whole world could wait.

She shut down, knowing Damon would take care of her. Retreating into her head and her memories, her cries eased though the occasional tear still tracked down her face. When they arrived home, she was vaguely aware of Damon carrying her inside. She heard the murmur of Caroline's voice and Stefan's rumbling answer. Her vampire ignored them both and carried her up the stairs to their room.

He sat her on the counter in the bathroom and moved away to start the shower. When he was satisfied with the temperature, he returned to her and began undressing her, moving slowly to keep from startling her.

"I know you don't believe me right now, Lucy, but everything will be okay. I promise."

She didn't believe him, promises or no.

After Damon had cleaned the blood from her body and fed her his own to heal her, they lay together in the bed. His fingers ran through her hair as she laid curled into his side with her head on his chest. Lucy's breath hitched as she bit back another sob. Damon's hold tightened, his warmth a stark contrast to the biting cold sorrow that settled in her bones.

"Shhh," he murmured, his lips brushing against her hair. "I've got you. Just let it go, baby." His voice soothed the raw edges that threatened to cut her open. His presence a reminder that she wasn't alone in the world. That he would protect her from what chaos and cruelty he could. Anyone else might find that ironic. That this man, of them all, would make her feel that way. But that was as he'd always been for her. An anchor in the storm.

A gentle knock at the bedroom door interrupted the quiet. "Lucy? Damon?" Stefan's voice, laced with concern, filtered through the wood. He wouldn't be interrupting them unless he needed something.

"Can it wait, Stefan?" Damon's tone carried a protective growl, an audible shield thrown up around the grieving woman in his arms.

"It's important," came Stefan's instant reply. "You both need to come. I'm sorry."

Lucy felt the shift of Damon's chest as he sighed. She knew they couldn't ignore Stefan's plea, but for a heartbeat longer, she wished they could remain isolated from the rest of the world's demands. Damon's fingers stroked her back in silent reassurance, a promise that no matter what lay beyond the bedroom door, she wouldn't be alone.

They trailed behind Stefan as he lead them to the front door in silence. Lucy froze when she spotted the door hanging open, Rose stood just beyond the threshold. Her fingers twitched at her sides and a frown creased her brow. Lucy worked a muscle in her jaw as she stared at the woman. "What the fuck is she doing here, Stefan?"

"She followed us from the house. She says she has information that we need to know."

Caroline moved to stand beside her boyfriend when Lucy didn't respond.

The truth was she didn't know what to say. This...woman ruined everything. Lucy didn't much care what she had to tell them. "I can't," she whispered, her voice barely loud enough for the vampires to hear. "Not now."

"Who is this?" Damon asked, looking between his brother, his girl, and the stranger at their door.

"One of my kidnappers." Lucy's voice was flat, emotionless.