Chapter Twenty

Damon froze as he sucked in a breath and his eyes went wide. "What did you say?" His voice was breathy, heavy with disbelief.

Lucy sighed and raked a hand through her hair as she ducked her head, trying to escape his gaze. "Just forget it, Damon. I shouldn't have said anything. What I have with you is too important to lose it."

He placed his fingers beneath her chin to lift her head. Those piercing blue eyes searched her face before his lips curved into that familiar smirk. "What makes you think you could ever lose me?"

There was a pause, a breath, before he leaned forward and pressed his lips to hers. The kiss was gentle at first, both of them testing this new dynamic, afraid the other would pull back. When there was no protest on either side, they deepened it. Her hands fisted his shirt to hold him to her. One of his arms looped around her waist while the other hand tangled in her hair to keep her lips tight against his.

His phone rang and they both ignored it. No sooner had his stopped than hers started. She pulled it from her back pocket and glanced at the screen while keeping her lips on Damon's. She backed away when she saw it was Stefan calling.

"Don't answer it," Damon said, trying to pull her back in.

"It's your brother."

"Then really don't answer it."

She pushed him back with a laugh. "He literally just saved your ass from a fire. Be nice."

Damon scowled and settled his hands on her hips while she answered the phone.

"What's up, Stef?"

"Lucy."

His voice broke and her smile immediately fell. She pulled away from Damon at the sound. "What is it? What's wrong?"

"Caroline." He cleared his throat. "Tyler was driving when the device went off. He crashed the car. Caroline's side took the impact. Things...things aren't good."

"We'll be right there." She ended the call and slid the phone into her back pocket. The moment she did, she was pulled into Damon's arms.

He kissed her temple. "She'll be alright, Lucy."

As she hugged him back, she could only hope that he was right.

***

It didn't take long to find everyone once they arrived at the hospital. Stefan stood from where he'd been talking to Matt, Tyler, and Bonnie and headed over to meet to them. Lucy stared at the witchy teenager but she didn't even glance in their direction.

"Hey," Stefan greeted as Lucy wrapped him up in a hug. He held her a long moment before pulling back. "She's in surgery. There was some internal bleeding."

"What exactly happened?" Lucy asked. Damon slid an arm around her waist and she leaned into his side.

"Tyler was driving. He apparently heard a sound that Caroline and Matt couldn't. It caused him to crash and knocked him out. He came to suddenly and that's when Caroline collapsed. She'd appeared fine until then." Stefan sounded tired, worried. Lucy pulled him into another hug which he gratefully returned.

Damon placed a hand on his brother's shoulder. "You're in good hands here. I'm going to find Liz." He kissed Lucy's head before leaving.

Stefan steered her over the chairs. She sat beside him and laid her head on his shoulder, grasping his hand in both of hers.

Bonnie made a disgusted sound and Lucy tensed up. Stefan kissed the top of her head and spoke in a low tone so he wouldn't be overheard. "Let it go."

And Lucy was prepared to be the bigger person. She really was. After all, she was only here for Stefan and Caroline. The rest of the teenagers could fuck right off.