Chapter 31

Elijah led Lucy to his car before driving them both to a quiet, nearly empty park. She remained in shocked silence as her gaze followed his every movement. She didn't snap out of it until he opened her door and offered her a hand. "Come," he instructed.

He led her to a bench and she took a seat at one end. He sat at the other, angling himself toward her and crossing his legs as he draped an arm along the back. "There are things about me—about my past—that I've kept hidden. Not to deceive you, but to protect you." He looked away from her then, focusing on a child playing in the distance. "Being an Original, knowing an Original, carries a burden I did not wish upon you. I would not put you in danger if it could be avoided."

Lucy studied him for a moment as she organized her thoughts, figured out which of her many questions she wanted to ask. "The boys knew, didn't they?"

He pursed his lips as his gaze darted to her and back again. "If you are asking if they are aware I am an Original, then yes. The name Mikaelson is rather well known in certain circles. However, I do not believe they had any reason to think I had not been killed as it appeared. Our...resilience is something we keep rather mum about."

"As much as it annoys me you were all keeping shit from me, I am really glad you're not dead."

Elijah shifted his focus to her then, a smirk curling his lips. "Oh, but I am."

"Don't be a smartass, 'Lijah. It doesn't suit you."

She slid across the bench to eliminate the space between them and laid her head on his shoulder. His arm immediately wrapped around to hold her close with a sigh. After a brief moment he broke the silence. "I rather enjoy being your Uncle Elijah. I was afraid if you knew the whole truth of what I was, that would change."

Lucy huffed in annoyance. "My blood is gone. The only family I have left is the one I've made. I'd be devastated if you weren't part of it." A buzzing sound caught her attention. "What's that?"

He shifted and pulled her phone from the pocket of his coat. She hadn't even realized he'd removed it from where she'd had it in her back pocket. "You little thief," she said in astonished disbelief.

"I would appreciate your silence on the matter of my continued existence for the time being," he said as he handed over the phone.

She glanced at the screen and cringed. Damon would be fuming. Eight texts and five missed calls. Oops. The phone vibrated again as another call came through. Stefan. She took a breath and answered. "Sorry. I didn't realize I had the ringer and the vibrate both off. I just went to check the time and saw you'd both been trying to get ahold of me."

"Calm down," Stefan's soothing voice answered. "It's okay."

"The hell it is," Damon snapped in the background. "Why wasn't she answering her phone?"

"Put him on please," Lucy said with a sigh. She swallowed the urge she had to apologize to Elijah for being on the phone. This was his fault in the first place. Pickpocket.

"What's going on, Lucy?" Damon said as he took the phone from his brother. "First you act weird at the café, then you disappear to see some friend. As soon as you leave the windows blew out and I haven't been able to reach you since."

"Are you okay?" she asked.

"I'm fine. It's you I'm worried about."

"I'm sorry." Lucy stopped there, unsure how to explain without revealing too much.

"Just tell me that you're okay," he said in a soft voice.

"I'm okay."

"Do you want me to come pick you up?" A thread of guilt wove through her at the weariness in his voice.