Chapter Nineteen

The exchange went flawlessly. At least Lucy assumed it did as she'd been banned from getting anywhere near town while it went down by both Salvatores. Damon had relaxed considerably now that Isobel had left though.

Founder's Day was the next day and Damon dragged Lucy out of the house and to the town square where they were preparing for the parade. They roamed, taking time to poke fun at the floats and costumes. "Aw, look at Stefan," Lucy said with a grin as her gaze fell on the younger brother.

Damon dragged her over to the other man. "Wow. This brings back memories. Looking good, Stef. Where's Caroline?"

Stefan shrugged. "I haven't seen her yet." His eyes went wide and the other two turned to see what captured his attention.

Elena entered the square looking like she'd stepped out of the mid-1800s. Damon arched his brows. "Holy shit. I thought she looked like Katherine before."

Seeing Elena dressed like this, it was easy for Lucy to see how the girl's ancestor had caught the brothers' eyes to begin with. She was stunning. When Elena noticed the gazes on her, she curtsied and gave a preening smile. Ugh. There it was. Moving on.

Lucy looked away only for Caroline to catch her eye. She nudged Stefan with an elbow to get his attention before gesturing to the blonde. "Close your mouth, Salvatore. You're drooling."

"Shut it, Williams," Stefan muttered before moving over to greet his girlfriend.

Caroline glanced at Lucy before waving and giving her a big smile. Lucy waved back and Damon draped an arm across her shoulders. They found a place to watch the parade, Lucy tucked into Damon's side. Just as the float passed with their friends, Damon was distracted. When he stepped away, Lucy trailed him with her gaze, rolling her eyes when she saw Bonnie.

"What do you want, Damon?" the witch asked. There was a lot of snark in her voice for someone that had never done anything to her.

"I just wanted to say thank you." When Bonnie didn't say anything, he continued. "That device could have killed me so thank you. I'll owe you one."

Lucy watched the girl for any signs of guilt or deception but saw nothing. She still didn't trust the Bennett witch. Lucy took Damon's hand in her own and pulled him away. "I need a drink."

They were on their second glass before Damon asked her what was wrong.

"I don't trust the witch."

He scoffed. "She's just a kid."

"Yeah, that's my point, Day. She's a kid that thinks she knows everything when she knows nothing. And she has magic in her blood." She sipped her drink. "She's dangerous."

"I think you're giving her too much credit."

Lucy shrugged and hoped like hell he was right.

***

The brothers, Lucy, and Caroline were searching for the perfect place to watch the fireworks when Anna appeared. Damon stepped forward to confront her, moving so Lucy was behind him. She grasped onto Caroline's hand and the blonde squeezed back to offer her silent support.

"You still around?" Damon asked.

"We've got a problem," Anna said and Stefan moved up to stand beside his brother.

"What kind of problem?" the younger Salvatore asked.

"Look, after you guys cleared out our coven, we rebuilt it. We've been around a long time and mom never did like doing anything for herself that she didn't have to. John Gilbert killed my mother and the coven wants revenge on the council." Anna kept glancing around as she explained.