Chapter Twenty-Eight

A/N: sorry for the inexcusable delay. I must have written and re-written this chapter five times. It's not edited but it's here. Future chapters should come much faster. 

***

After a long beat of silence, Caroline frowned. "What? It was just a joke."

"No, it was an idea," Stefan said.

"A great idea," Damon added.

Lucy rolled her eyes. Normally she'd try to talk them out of it, but to be honest, Mason deserved it. "Have fun I guess," she said grabbing Caroline's hand. "'We're going to get some lunch. I'm starving."

She didn't wait for a response as she dragged her blonde bestie to her car. Caroline kept her eyes on Lucy but didn't say anything until they were pulling out of the drive. "You're seriously okay with this?"

Lucy shrugged. "He almost got our boys killed. He got me shot. Yeah, I'm good with it."

Caroline studied her for a moment longer before nodding in agreement and turning to look out the window.

They were nearly through with their quick lunch when Lucy's phone rang. Stefan. "What's up?" she answered.

"Bonnie and I are meeting at the well on the Lockwood property. We think that's where Mason stashed the stone," he said.

"We're trusting witchy again, why?"

He sighed. "Not now, Lucy. I need you to come home to make sure Damon doesn't get carried away."

Lucy rolled her eyes and hung up the phone. Why Stefan thought she was the person for this job, she had no idea.

"I'm going to meet Stefan and Bonnie," Caroline said as soon as they stepped outside and she was gone before Lucy could even respond.

Annoyance flared through her. They were supposed to stay together for safety but whatever. Lucy had been in a mood most of the day. She didn't like being out of the loop. And she hated having to get up to help Caroline with her pet projects. The blonde better be glad Lucy loved her so much.

With a sigh, Lucy started her car and drove home. Screaming greeted her when she walked in the door. Entering the living room, she saw Mason Lockwood chained to a chair while Damon shoved something in his face. From the looks of it, it was wolfsbane. Jeremy Gilbert stood nearby watching everything. She shook her head in slight disbelief.

"Damon, what are you doing?"

He looked up in surprise. "Hi Sweetheart. I'm just trying to get some information out of wolfie here. I need to know what Katherine is up to."

She snorted. "Probably hiding from my uncle. You can't just torture people, Damon. It's rude."

Jeremy huffed a laugh and she gestured in his direction. "And what is baby Gilbert doing here?"

The teenager scowled. "Don't call me that."

Damon's gaze narrowed in annoyance. "He keeps putting himself in the middle of things. Thinks its his business. It isn't."

"Aren't you a vampire?" she asked. Just compel the idiot kid to leave them alone.

The corner of his lip curled in amusement. "Vervain." Damn it. That meant they couldn't eat him either. Not that the thought had even crossed Lucy's mind.

Her gaze flicked from her boyfriend to Jeremy. "Go home, little Gilbert. This isn't for you."

When he hesitated, she scowled. "Now or I'll call your sister and you'll have to deal with her being glued to your ass."