Chapter Twenty-Nine

It was mid-morning of the next day that Caroline got a text from an unknown number. Her smile fell as she read it. "Lucy." Her voice trembled as she held the phone out to her best friend.

Lucy's brow furrowed as she took the phone. Lexi zoomed over to read over her shoulder.

I want the moonstone or I start killing. This town is overdue for a slaughter. Tonight at the masquerade.

"Katherine. Great," Lucy said as she typed out a response.

"The Katherine?" Lexi asked.

Lucy nodded as the bitch responded. "Fuck." She tossed the phone to the blonde beside her and went over to pour herself a drink. Lexi read over the rest of the exchange.

We don't have it. Already gave it to its new owner.

I don't believe you. And if you did, the previous statement still stands. Mystic Falls becomes a bloodbath.

Lucy took a long sip of her drink as she contemplated their options.

"So we have the boys bring back the stone, meet with Katherine and end her existence," Lexi suggested.

The only human in the room shook her head. "I'm not certain they could get back in time. Besides, I don't want that rock anywhere near the bitch. We use a decoy. We'll have to take her down ourselves. Find someplace to keep her until she's needed." As much as she wanted to just end her, Elijah wanted to talk to her first.

"What about the tomb?" Caroline said. "Bree could put a containment spell on it."

Lucy blinked. She was rather fond of this new ruthless streak of Care's. "Lock her up with the burnt corpses of her old friends? Sounds like a plan."

"Okay, but do we use to replace the moonstone?" the witch asked.

Lucy shrugged. "Damon has a whole bowl of soap in his room. It's stupid and something else to dust, but they're the right shape. A little witchy juju and one should pass no problem."

Lexi grinned and clapped her hands together. "Time to plan the downfall of a raging bitch."

***

Much to Lucy's protestations, she was instructed to remain in the house while the rest of them went to enact their plan. This was such bullshit, but she couldn't exactly argue with the point that she was human. It didn't mean she had to like being left out though. She'd even tried to bribe them with the daylight ring she'd had Elijah send for Lee but Lexi just held out her hand and Lucy folded. She was just too nice damn it.

Her eyes stayed glued to the clock as she tapped her foot anxiously. They were supposed to keep her updated but she hadn't heard from anyone in ages. "That's it," she said as she pushed herself up from her seat. She was going to find out what was going on.

She arrived at the venue and pulled her car to the side away from the other vehicles. She wanted to make sure she could get out easily. She wove through the cars trying to find her way to the house. She stopped short when she saw Elena headed her way as she talked on her phone. The teen was in jeans in a casual top so she obviously hadn't been here for the festivities.

"Elena," she called to get the girl's attention as she hung up her phone.

The brunette looked up with frown just as a figure wearing a clown mask stepped up behind her and grabbed her with a hand over her mouth.

"Hey," Lucy shouted. "Let her go." A moment later, a heavy blow struck the side of her head and pain radiated through her before everything went black.