Chapter Twenty-Two

Damon was on edge all the way home. He was tense, his thumb drumming against the wheel as he shot glances at Lucy. For her part, she said nothing. She'd met the bitch that was Katherine Pierce. It wasn't particularly terrifying contrary to what she expected. The vampire doppelganger was a bully that was used to people doing as ordered. Unfortunately for her, Lucy had never been particularly good at doing what she was told.

When they arrived at the house Damon sped around the car and opened her door. He took her hand in his and pulled her into the house and to the living room. He immediately went over and poured them both a drink. He handed hers over and she watched him with an arched brow.

"For your nerves," he said and sipped his own drink.

Lucy laughed. "I don't think it's my nerves that need settling, Day."

He nodded once and sat his glass down. He grasped her upper arms and looked her over. "Are you okay? Did she hurt you?"

"What do you think she could have done to me in a room full of people?"

He released her with a sigh before raking a hand through his hair. "It's Katherine. Who knows what evil she can get up to."

Lucy laughed and he pulled her against him as he wrapped his arms around her. She relaxed against his chest and returned the hug. After a moment he began to run his hands up and down her back. She tilted her head back to look up at him and he leaned forward to press his lips to hers in a slow kiss. An action they repeated several times before they were satisfied.

When they separated, she rested her head on his chest. "I needed that."

He chuckled. "Me, too. We should have done that much earlier in the day." He grasped her hand in his and tugged her toward the stairs. "Let's get you out of that dress."

He didn't mean the words the way they sounded. She knew that, but it still reminded her that there was a conversation that needed to be had. While she'd told him she loved him and he'd said she wouldn't lose him, they really hadn't discussed what it meant for their relationship. She needed some answers before she became too invested. She pulled against him as she planted her feet and he glanced back with a frown.

"What's wrong?"

"What's going on here?" she asked.

He arched a brow. "We're going upstairs so you can change out of your funeral wear."

Lucy rolled her eyes. That wasn't what she meant and he knew it. "Look, Damon. I'm not trying to pin you down or make you feel guilty or anything like that, but this isn't a bit of fun for me. I told you how I feel about you. You're my friend. My family. I won't risk that for anything that's not serious."

He tugged her arm, pulling her back into him with a smirk. "What if it's really, really hot sex?"

She couldn't help a small laugh as she shook her head. "You're incorrigible." She patted his chest. "Just think about it. I'm okay being your friend. And despite you assuring me I won't, it would kill me if I lost you."

His expression turned serious and he kissed her cheek. "I promise I'll think about it, sweetheart. Now, let's get out of these clothes."

Once Lucy removed her dress and heels, she slipped into a set of pajamas. She went to leave her room but a glance at the bed had her feeling suddenly tired. She crawled under the covers and was asleep in moments. And if Damon opened her door to check on her when she didn't respond to his knock, well she was none the wiser.

***

It was full dark by the time Lucy woke. She'd never get to sleep later but it's not like it mattered. She didn't have a job to get up for in the morning. She yawned as she made her way down the stairs to find Damon. His voice drifted from the living room but she couldn't make out the words.