Chapter Twenty-Five

Damon was obsessed with the secret of Mason Lockwood to the point he'd managed to talk Ric into having Jenna host a BBQ and invite said man. The werewolf and the vampire had then spent the day poking at each other with verbal jabs and poorly veiled hints. The only reason Lucy hadn't just left and gone home was Stefan asked her and Caroline to stay away from the house today. Well, he'd asked Lucy to keep Caroline away from the house. The baby vamp currently sat beside Lucy on the couch looking just as bored as she was.

Lucy glanced at the time and sent Stefan a text that she was coming home, blonde bestie in tow. As the rousing game of Pictionary ended, Lucy grabbed Caroline's hand and dragged her over to Damon. "We're going home."

He frowned. "But you haven't had desert yet." His attention shifted from her to Mason and back again.

"You can stay but Caroline and I are taking the car." She held her hand out for his keys. "Have fun with whatever this is," she added as she gestured between the two men.

He dropped his keys into her palm before kissing her lips. "Alright, kitten. I'll see you at home."

"Be careful and behave," she told him only receiving a smirk in return. She shook her head and said a general goodbye before heading out the door. Neither of the women said anything until they were in the car.

Caroline turned in her seat to face Lucy. "This was super boring, right?"

"The worst."

They paused for a second before they both laughed. "Let's go home," Lucy said and started the car.

She took her time driving to the boarding house as her and Caroline chatted about the men in their lives. It was difficult to do it any other time since they were both men were vampires and the four of them lived together.

When they arrived home, Caroline decided to take her own car to go visit her mother. Lucy waved her off before stepping into a too quiet house. Stefan must be gone. She hated being alone in the boarding house. It was so big and felt horribly empty when there was no noise to fill it.

Lucy put the gun she'd taken with her to the Gilberts' house in the drawer of the table in the front hall. She headed toward the other room to turn the stereo on when she was suddenly slammed against the wall. Katherine stood in font of her with one hand wrapped tightly around her neck. Lucy's feet dangled in the air and the vampire snarled at her. Shit. Where was a stake when she needed one?

She grasped the vampy doppelganger's wrist with both hands trying to relieve some of the pressure on her throat. Fuck this bitch. Seriously.

"This is the third time I'm warning you to put some distance between you and the Salvatores." Katherine leaned forward and sniffed. "You're just lucky you still smell like Damon or I would have killed you already."

Lucy thought about asking how that worked out for her last time but she didn't want to tell the vampire Caroline was alive if she didn't already know.

"Now. I want you to leave this house and never come back." Her hand released its grip and she eyed Lucy expectantly, obviously waiting for her to do as ordered.

Lucy wrapped a hand around her neck and scowled. "We're at an impasse here, Katherine. You see, I'm on vervain and if you kill me, my family—which includes the Salvatores—will be most displeased, as my uncle would put it. So why don't you fuck off?"

The answering backhand sent Lucy to the floor with the force of the blow and pain exploded through her cheek. "Your family will get over it."

Lucy laughed as she smirked at the elder doppelganger. "Oh, Katerina. Uncle Elijah is going to be so pissed at you."