Chapter Twenty-Four

The carnival had been about as exciting as Lucy anticipated. There was only so much fun to have at an event filled by teenagers. The only thing Damon had discovered about Mason Lockwood was that he was stronger than he should have been. Lucy suggested they could be werewolves only to have Damon inform her they didn't exist. She had rolled her eyes and made him take her on the Ferris wheel. When they returned home, she'd gotten to see Caroline only long enough to give her the daylight ring Elijah had sent for her.

It was the next morning and Lucy sat on the couch in the living room moving a little to the music on the stereo while she nibbled at a bag of cotton candy. Stefan walked into the room and stopped to observe her with an amused expression on his face. "Just how much cotton candy did you buy last night? That's like the third bag I've seen you with."

Lucy grinned and stuck her blue tongue out at him. "A lot."

They both frowned when a knock sounded at the front door. Stefan went to answer it while Lucy came to hover behind him. She scowled when her gaze fell on Bonnie and Elena. She supposed she'd have to get used to them being around if Caroline was going to live with them. She sighed.

"What can we do for you ladies?" Stefan asked sounding welcoming though Lucy could see the muscle twitching in his jaw.

"We wanted to check on Caroline." Elena stepped into the house without waiting for an invitation and Bonnie came in behind her.

Stefan and Lucy exchanged a glance as he shut the door. He licked his lips. "I'm not sure she's up to that right now."

Neither of them were certain what she'd told her friends. She was currently resting in Stefan's bed and they didn't want to disturb her unless necessary.

Elena's face twisted to one of mock sympathy as she rested her hand on his arm. "She told us what happened, Stefan. This must be so hard for you."

"Yes, I'm sure the vampire is extremely upset to have a vampire girlfriend. How horrible," Lucy said, earning glares from both girls. "I thought we talked about you calling before you come over."

Elena scowled. "I've never had to call before visiting Caroline before. I don't intend to start now."

Lucy simply hummed without saying anything further. They might have to start locking the door. Damon wouldn't be happy.

The door opened drawing their attention. Ric paused as he looked over the small gathering. His eyebrows lifted in surprise. "Where's Damon?"

"He went to get gas in the car. He should be back any moment." Lucy gestured to the other room. "Make yourself comfortable. You know where everything is."

"He just walked in. Why didn't you lecture him?" Elena asked as the teacher went into the living room.

Stefan arched a brow. "He was invited."

The corner of Lucy's mouth kicked up in a grin.

"What's going on?" Caroline asked as she came down the stairs. As she caught sight of her friends, she sped over to them. She pulled Elena into a hug and the girl awkwardly patted the blonde's back. When she went to hug Bonnie, the witch stepped back with a tight smile. Caroline's excited grin immediately fell.

"Elena wanted me to make you a daylight ring," Bonnie said, pulling a large book from the bag draped over her shoulder. "I'm willing to do it, but you should know that I will control the magic connected to the ring. If you hurt anyone, even in the smallest measure, I will deactivate it."

A tear slipped from Caroline's eye and she quickly wiped it away. Stefan moved up behind her, wrapping his arms around her waist and resting his chin on her shoulder. She rested her hands on his. "I'm okay." Her voice was quiet and a little bit broken.