Chapter 51

I stared out across the small gathering of undead that stood under us. They were all clad in the same military uniform and had various weapons and gear. However, what really had me worried was that the second warrant officer's name was tinted red. There was a mini-boss here. I glanced towards Gunther and back out across the outpost, unsure about what was to come. "So, how are we going to get off of this one?"

"I'm not sure myself. If that wall gives, we will have even more to contend with before. Think we have a solid chance of fighting our way out?" He gripped the staff and paced around. He was worried, and I don't blame him. However, we have fought our way out of even worse situations than this.

"I think if we.." My sentence was cut short when a horrible groan overshadowed the sounds that the other undead were making. I stepped back and drew my sword as I saw movement in the corner of my eye. Rising from the wooden flooring were two ghostly figures clad in a uniform that looked much like the one the undead below us wore. However, the most significant difference was that this uniform was dark, vibrant purple, and a stark contrast to the sickly green, translucent flesh.

I quickly analyzed the two new foes, and my heart sank all the more.

Praetorian Neophyte- Squire

Both of their names were green, with a touch of red, which told me they were on the cusps of mini-boss strength. I believe they were both spirits, which would be difficult for us to fight as it was. The only way we could harm them was through the use of magic. I was a duelist and lacked any sort of magic, and Gunther could use the most basic of magic.

I mashed my teeth together as I brought my sword to a guard position. Our situation was growing even direr with each passing second. We stirred a hornet's nest when we entered this base. But I refused to die here, not when I had so much on the line.

The spirits both held swords that looked much like the sword that the Warrant officer held. However, these had a blue twinge that seemed to permeate them. It was almost as if the sword was slowly becoming as incorporeal as its user. I eyed my friend from the corner of my eye and gazed at me. His face told me he was worried about winning, which was rare. I turned my focus back to our foes and stepped forward as I channeled my duelist focus skill. Everything around me faded as I took stock of my opponent before me.

Usually, I would never use this skill against more than one opponent, but I trusted Gunther more than enough to do it. I already knew that I couldn't harm the spirit. What I really needed to do was just buy us some time as we tried to work out a plan to escape.

My foe bared its sword in the same way; its face was a little clearer with the skill active since it toned out most of my surroundings. The spirit seemed to be a male with a shaved head and wore an angry snarl across its face. I wonder why the spirit was so angry. Was that how it died? With a heart full of hatred? I gripped the hilt of my sword and shrugged away the thought. It didn't matter. All that mattered now was that we were about to fight, and I refused to die here and join them.

In a flash, the spirit crossed the distance between us, almost catching me off guard, its sword rushing towards my face. I stepped to the side, dodging it. Out of instinct, I sent my rapier forward with pinpoint accuracy towards where I knew the heart to be. However, much to my surprise, the spirit pivoted and used its hand to push away the blade and quickly launched a counterattack.

Its blade flashed towards my face, forcing me to activate my sidestep skill to dodge it. My body jerked as I landed, and I could feel my heart pounding in my chest and the muscles in my legs burned from the usage of that skill. Side-Step was a high leveled movement skill that essentially sent your body into overdrive for a split second, and I could only use it twice more before my stamina reserve plummeted to critical levels.