Chapter 81

"Ms. Alessia, what is mother doing?"

I glanced down towards the child before looking back at the Empress. It's scary how much they look alike, though I don't think she has noticed yet. "She is leading a construction project to expand the domain." I rested my beloved pole ax against my shoulder and crossed my arms as I stood under a tree. I was far enough away that I wouldn't be noticed by anyone, but close enough that I could get to my Empress in the blink of an eye.

Nyx scrunched her face as she stared at her mother. "I don't understand why she would do such menial labor when she has an army of servants at her beck and call."

I shook my head, feeling a bit exasperated by her mindset. It's incredible how far away she was from her mother in that regard. "That's how she has always been. She wouldn't ask of us, something that she wouldn't be willing to do herself."

The little girl shook her head slightly. "I don't understand."

I reached out and patted Nyx's head, eliciting a purr from her. "One day, you will. Anyway, come along, let's go visit the rest of the domain."

"Okay!" She jumped up and tried to rush ahead of me.

But I reached out and grabbed her arm, pulling her back. "No, stay next to me."

She groaned and stamped her foot on the ground in response. "Why! I wish to run around and play!"

"Because there are many dangers that exist out there, and if anything were to happen to you, your mother would have my head." I told her as I pulled her back into step beside me.

Her gaze flickered from me back to the woods as she processed the words. "But I'm a dragon! I can protect myself!"

"It doesn't matter. You know what the Empress said, don't you?"

A sigh of defeat escaped from her lips. "Fine. I'll listen, but only if you hold my hand." As she spoke, she reached her little hand up.

Such a needy child. I took her hand as we walked down one of the small paths that I made some neophytes make as we cut through the forest. Today's fog was thinner than it usually was and gave the forest a more etheric look as it clung to the trees. Chirps filled the air, along with the sound of various squirrels shuffling through the undergrowth.

Nyx was apparently enjoying herself as she looked around. "Ms. Alessia, what is that?" She asked as she pointed towards a few of the rodents scampering around the ground. Their fur was torn, and blood was congealed around open bite marks.

The animals, noticing us, scurried over. "These little guys are called squirrels. They live in the forest and don't really interact with anyone." I told her as I placed my poleaxe against a tree and squatted down, petting one gently on its head.

Nyx followed suit and reached out towards the closest of the rodents. The squirrel sniffed her hand before it stood on its hind legs, allowing her to pet it. A soft smile crossed her face, and I felt a strange feeling in my chest. The way she smiled reminded me much of how the Empress smiled, something she does less of lately, on top of wearing that mask now.

"Ms. Alessia, may I keep it?" Nyx's voice tore me from my thoughts, and I looked down at the little girl. Her face was locked in a pout as she held the little squirrel up for me to see.

"No, sadly, your mother has far too many animals in the royal area as it is."
Her face dropped a bit as she set the squirrel down, and it quickly scampered off with its family. "Okay."

"There, there, don't be sad. There are plenty of pets in the royal area for you to play with. Your mother even has a pack of wolves!" I told her as I rubbed my hand against her black hair.