Chapter 85

"Mother, does Mr. Kharon scare you as well?" Nyx's face hung low as she curled into my lap. I ran my fingers through her hair as I fought the swell of emotions that seemed to dominate my being. It was so strange to have someone treat me like this. I never once thought I would be a mother in all of my years, but here I was. There was so much that terrified me and a lot of things that haunted me since childhood. I was worried that I would turn out like my parents, which I refused to do.

"No. He is a very kind man." I told her as I patted her head before wrapping my arms around her.

"His eyes scared me. They raged like a fire, and he looked like a demon emerging from the darkness."

I couldn't help but chuckle at the way she described him. Kharon was much like a grandfather, more than anything else. "Don't worry, Kharon is one of the nicest people you will ever meet. In fact, he was the first person I met here, and he has helped me through a lot."

"Ms. Alessia said the same thing. But I am still unsure about him." She yawned as she nestled herself more into my lap. "Mother, I'm tired."

"Poor thing." I cooed softly as I kept running my fingers through her soft, silk-like hair. "Would you like to go to bed?"

"Mhm." She murmured softly as I glanced up at Alessia. Her arms were crossed, and she was leaning against the wall. She seemed like she was lost in her own thoughts, so for a time, I would leave her be. I wrapped my arms around Nyx carried her over to my bed.

The little girl giggled as I hefted her up into the air, and I felt a warmth that spread through my chest with each pulse. Was this how my mom felt when I was younger? The thought sent a cruel knife through my heart as I realized just how much I missed my parents. I wanted to make everything right and see them again.

I pushed open the door to my bedroom and gently tickled Nyx, causing her to release a new batch of giggles as she struggled to getaway. "Mother, stop right this instant!" She cackled like a madwoman as I brought her over to my bed and laid her down.

She took a few heaving breaths as I tucked her in. "Will you lay with me for a while?" She gazed up at me, her eyes wide and her lips stuck in a pout.

"Of course." To be honest, I really didn't because I had things I needed to do, but I also needed to make sure that she stayed happy. I refuse to put her through what I went through.

She scooted over for me, and I slid under the blanket. Nyx quickly threw her arms around me as I tried to position the blanket over us. Once we were both comfortable, she tugged on my arm and laid her head on it, and stared up at me. "Mother, why do you wear that mask?"

I reached up and ran my fingers across the smooth metallic surface. "There is no real reason right now. I have it, so the people outside of Asteria don't see my face. Other than that, I just forget that it's on most days." I reached my hand up and quickly pulled it off.

Nyx stared up at me for a short time, her eyes drinking in my features with greed. "Mother, you are beautiful."

I chuckled quietly, unsure of how to handle the compliment. It's not very often that I get called that. "Thank you, Nyx. I'm glad you think so."

She nodded her head, and she closed her eyes, and we both fell into silence. The warmth of her body radiated from her in waves, washing over me. It wasn't unpleasant, but it was something that I wasn't used to. I laid there for a while, and stared up at my ceiling, trying to figure out what my life was coming to. Here I was, lying in bed with my familiar, who was acting more like a daughter than anything else. Not too long ago, I talked to a god, and I have an army at my beck and call. Not to mention I was an empress, at least by my design.