Chapter Fourteen: We Need Not Explain

An aching, throbbing migraine spread across the back of my head, and the silent questions that lingered behind the eyes of my men was starting to make it worse

An aching, throbbing migraine spread across the back of my head, and the silent questions that lingered behind the eyes of my men was starting to make it worse. They looked at me as if I had to have all the answers all the time, like I could never be confused.

I rarely was. I knew exactly who was behind everything, and I was always two steps ahead of everyone. It was starting to get fucking draining.

Clearing my throat, I lifted a hand and rubbed the nail of my thumb above my eyebrow, spending the moment of silence by staring at the clean wood on the desk in front of me. Papers lay spewed around everywhere, the remnants of the man before me still lingered in my office. He didn't even feel the need to clean up behind himself, even knowing I was going to be back.

Bastard.

"Pakhan," Alexander's voice rung like that of a bell in the dark, endless abyss of my being. I looked at him, noticed the rubbing of his palms together and realized he was nervous. Of me? Always. He was on the edge of his seat, the aftermath of us getting to base and me completely obliterating the man before me and the main lobby still hung in the air.

"Alexander,"

His eyes drifted away from mine and to his hands, his nerves so potent I could smell them from where he sat. "Orders, Pakhan. The men don't know what's going on, they're getting restless,"

My mouth frowned as I adjusted in my seat, "Oh," I nodded, "The men are getting restless, yes? Well, if one of them moves in a restless manner, you point a gun at his forehead and put a bullet through his skull,"

He parted his lips to speak, but I lifted a hand and silenced him. "My home in London was ambushed and I nearly got a twenty-one year old woman, and my sister killed. I couldn't give less of a fuck about any of you, but if either of them had been shot, the destruction I would've caused would have put judgement day to rest."

Alexander leaned back in his chair, inhaled a deep lungful of smoke from the thick brown cigar between his fingers. He rolled his lips together, "How is she?"

At my sharp glare, he bowed his head.

"She's asleep," Katerina answered passively. "She's been asleep for three days now, Kirill. Why is that?"

My eyes fell on my sister, and she watched me with curious, hooded eyes. With my eyes still on her, I ordered Alexander to leave us. After he did, I exhaled a deep, annoyed breath of air and leaned my head back against the seat.

"Sleep doesn't find her often," I mumbled, and my sister nodded her head in understanding. She spooned a mouthful of fruit into her mouth, and spoke with her mouthful, "Well, you should probably go and wake her. She's slept, but she hasn't eaten,"

I shook my head and rose from the chair, buttoning up my suit, "I can't see her yet. You wake her, feed her, answer her curious little questions,"

"Why can't you see her?"