Chapter Twenty Two: The Meeting of the Earth and the Sea

I stared out in front of myself mindlessly, simply just looking, and not taking anything in as my psychology professor spoke

I stared out in front of myself mindlessly, simply just looking, and not taking anything in as my psychology professor spoke. Today, he wore a pair of linen white trousers and a blue polo shirt, a stark opposite of what he usually wore- jeans and a white shirt.

And from the difference in my professors attire, I knew it was going to be a very different day from the usual.

The lukewarm coffee in my cup barely touched my lip when he excused us, and I practically ran out of the room. Jade spotted me across the hall, and with a single glance, she jogged to the door of the building and opened it. We both ran out of the building as if it was on fire.

"Okay, I say we go get food first. Then, a movie,"

I nodded in agreement, yet did not feel the need to say anything to her. She noticed my silence as she usually does, and took my hand in hers. "Hey, what's on your mind?" she asked me, a curious and sympathetic glint in her dark eyes.

"Kirill," I half smiled as she playfully rolled her eyes, "we keep missing each other," I sighed and Jade pouted.

"He gets home when I'm asleep, and I leave for classes when he's already gone. He hates waking me up, and you know I'm a dead-sleeper after a week of two classes every day,"

She hummed thoughtfully as we pulled away from the sidewalk, and drove onto the road, "How about you go see him at work? Just drop by, give him a coffee or something, talk for a minute?"

I shook my head as I tugged at the sleeve of my cardigan, "He texted me a few days ago and told me he's sorry, and that work has been insane. He said he'd make it up to me though,"

Jade wiggled her eyebrows suggestively, and after flipping her off, I turned my head to the window. Whirls of buildings and snow flew by us as Jade sped up, excited for our girl's day. But, would it be a girls day if my entire thoughts were filled with a man? If my entire being longed for him?

After Jade forced me to watch The Notebook with her, and we were both in tears as we left the theatre, we decided we needed copious amounts of junk food to make up for the heartache. We crossed the road to the diner across the theatre, and I was in the process of digging in my purse for my wallet, and Jade was blindly trying to fix her smudged makeup with her round pocket mirror.

Just then, I crashed into the opening glass door of the diner. My head whipped back as my forehead ached, and I heard a deep, raspy voice swear colourfully under his breath.

"Jesus Christ," he groaned out in frustration, a sharp accent to his voice.

I rubbed my throbbing forehead as I bent at the knees in an attempt to gather my books, yet a large, pale and tattooed hand already beat me to it. The familiarity of the hand hit me right in my chest and in those few seconds, I had never missed Kirill more.

"Sorry," I whispered as I scrambled my books into my arms and stood to my height again.

I looked up at the man towering over me, yet the very moment my eyes found his, I snapped them away. An ache took over my beating heart at the familiar blue circles around deep, secretive black holes. I couldn't look away, yet I wanted to. So very bad.