Epilogue: The Return of the Lovers

The wind whipped through my hair as I hurriedly made my way down the sidewalk, eager to get out of the cold and wet wind

The wind whipped through my hair as I hurriedly made my way down the sidewalk, eager to get out of the cold and wet wind. My boots thudded heavily under me as I came closer and closer to my final destination, just across the street and through the door, and then I was warm and safe again. 

I ran across the street, minding the potholes and puddles of icy cold, grimy water. I threw the door open to my apartment building, practically flew up the stairs with bags of groceries in hand. I clumsily got my key out, unlocked my door and fell through it. 

After putting away my groceries, I tiredly made my way to my bathroom after grabbing a random sleeping outfit from my closet. I took a shower that would never be hurting my bank account at the end of the month, and got dressed. 

Jade and I had plans to go see a movie later, but after we both agreed we were too exhausted, we decided on a quick coffee run in ten minutes. I didn't even bother properly brushing my hair nor applying any makeup, and instead wandered around my apartment until I had to leave to the coffee shop across from me. 

I was in the process of munching on a raw carrot when I caught my reflection in the mirror, and faltered. 

The shirt that I had picked out was neatly folded up in the bottom of my pile of clothes the last time I saw it. I purposefully put the graphic part of it on top, so I would see it and not even touch it. 

Yet now, it hung off my body. 

His shirt. 

Fresh, warm tears tickled the backs of my eyes, and I realised that I had never missed anyone as much as I miss him now. His laughter that would echo throughout my apartment, the many items of clothes all around my house, the fresh and intoxicating smell of his signature cologne. 

And the way he'd look at me when I was wearing this exact shirt. 

My phone flashed in front of me on the coffee table, and I reached for it and read the text Jade sent me, There in fifteen. Yes, I'm late. x  before I typed my own out. And just as I was about to put my phone back, I saw it. 

The last message he sent me before everything went to shit. 

Daddy: I can't wait to come home to you, Doll face. 

The tears from before burned over my eyes, and before I could even stop myself, I had opened the camera, took a picture, and pressed send.

"Oh, my god," I whispered to myself, "you're just a dumb bitch," 

I tossed my phone as far away as I could, and ran my hands over my face as I let out a scream of embarrassment, and a little sadness. But I quickly composed myself, smoothed my hair away from my face, and put pants on. 

Jade practically fell into the seat with an exasperated sigh, and sent me a wide smile, "Goddamn," she complained, "wedding planning is the pits. I just want this shit to be over with so I can be a wife and lay on my ass the entire day."