Chapter Eighteen: No Man Powerful Enough

The soft buzzing of my phone awoke me from my sleep

The soft buzzing of my phone awoke me from my sleep. Slightly disorientated and pissed off, I rolled onto my back and slipped my arm out from under the sleeping angel. She groaned softly, clutching the covers closer to her chest.

Sitting up, I switched on the bedside lamp and held the phone to my ear.

"This has to be of dire urgency, Vitterio,"

The man huffed out a chuckle, "Yes, it is. Are you alone?" he asked me, and I leaned forward, elbows on my thighs as I rubbed a hand over my face. "No. Italian."

"Che è tornato."
[he's back]

My blood ran thick through my veins at his words, a frozen, sharp chill ran down my back. The room was cold, and pitch black. The sound of gentle rain falling from the sky against the roof of my home, and the soft breathing of Lilith and Dream was the only few things I could hear.

"Come fai a saperlo?"
[How do you know?]

Vitterio heaved out a sigh, "Interpol informato Freddie per la vostra richiesta,"
[Interpol informed Freddie per your request.]

My chest burst into flames, my jaw ticked and clenched and I was minutes away from throwing a fit. Inhaling deeply, I tried to calm the feral beating of my heart between my ears.

"Quando?"
[When?]

"Ieri," he sighed deeply, and I imagined him running a hand over his face.
[Yesterday]

"Darmi thirty minuti."
[Give me thirty minutes.]

"Bene. Ciao,"
[Good.]

I dropped the phone onto the nightstand before I rose to my feet. I threw my closet open and pulled on a pair of black trousers, and a long sleeved black sweater. I tied my hair back, and just as I was in the process of pulling a jacket over my shoulders, I heard the soft, perfect voice of the girl in my bed.

"Daddy?" she whispered, sitting up and looking at me with her dark, sleepy gaze. I put both hands next to her as I leaned towards her, and kissed her. "Go back to sleep, Kotyonok. I have to go to work, hm? But I won't be long. Sleep, darling."

She hummed sleepily before she fell back into the bed. The tugged the sleeping dog to her chest, and yawned. I kissed her temple, then her cheek and hated Vitterio for making me leave her at three in the fucking morning.

The road was wet with rain the helmet shielding my head from the droplets as I swerved around the corner, now in the heart of London. Vitterio was staying in a hotel, one of the ones I owned in this city. He was here on business, he said. But I had a feeling it was to have a break from his very Italian wife, and his very Italian children.

I parked my bike and pulled the helmet off, quickly finding the lean build of the Capo of the Italian Mafia. He stood leaned against the wall of the hotel, a bright orange cherry burned onto the end of the cigarette. I was about twice the side of him build wise, but we were the same height, more so the same person.