09. The Tournament - Part One

"This next dojo took last year's title, but they're under new management." The announcer, Darryl, had spoke up as the Cobra Kai's stood up straight as they got ready to jog out. "Can they reign supreme once more? And last year's runner-up, he may be wearing a new gi but one thing's for sure."

Ash glanced to Robby, the boy jumping his brows at her.

"Robby Keene and his team are ready to strike." Darryl had said.
"Hailing from Reseda, defending champions and still the most badass name for a dojo... Here comes Cobra Kai!"

The Cobra Kai's exited the backroom in two neat lines behind Kreese and Terry, Ash and Robby at the front of the lines.

"Woo!" Ash heard someone cheering louder than everyone else and she looked to see her mom who was wearing a bright red Cobra Kai shirt and was waving glowsticks around.

Ash smiled at that.

As the students got to the front, standing side by side in one neat row, Ash glanced to Miyagi-Do who had been introduced first.

She connected eye contact with Eli before she quickly looked away.

Eli sighed as he looked to the floor as Eagle-Fang was introduced.

He and Ash hadn't spoken to each other since they had a moment at Prom.

Eli wondered if he had just hallucinated it all.

"At the end of the day, only one of these dojos can be crowned Grand Champion." Darryl said dramatically. "Welcome to the 51st Annual All Valley Under 18 Karate Tournament!"

The crowd jumped up and cheered, Ash inhaling deeply.

Darryl laughed. "It's karate time."

🥋

"You ready?" Ash asked, massaging Kenny's shoulders.

"Yeah." Kenny laughed as he brushed away her hands. "I'm gonna kick some ass."

"Hell yeah you are." Ash smiled widely at him. "You're gonna bring home the trophy in the boys division for us."

Kenny laughed at that. "I wouldn't go that far."

"Hey, have some faith in yourself." Ash smiled at him. "At least you don't have to go through me."

"Yeah I would lose immediately." Kenny had said, Ash grinning at him.

"Alright, fall in." Kreese had called out, Ash patting Kenny on his back before all the students did as told.

"All of your training has brought you to this moment." Kreese had said. "Remember, if you win, you don't just get a trophy.. you get the glory."

Ash looked to Tory who wore a type of look on her face that caused her to furrow her brows.

"And you get to know forever that you were a champion." Kreese added, Ash looking back to her sensei. "I have had students with all the talent in the world squander their moment. Do not let history repeat itself, do not let your emotions cloud your judgement. And above all, do not let anyone stand in the way of your victory."

Ash tilted her chin up slightly.

"Just to be clear, that's not a pep talk, that's an order." Terry spoke up. "And we're all gonna follow sensei Kreese's orders today, aren't we?"