Friends with the Monster

I woke up with a throbbing headache. I gasped as I saw my leg chained near the bedpost. I was about to sit up when I realised someone had a firm grip around my palm, wrapped with bandages restricting further movements.

It was Niccolò; he looked tired as he snored roughly while his head rested on the corner of the bed. I sigh a little as I brush my finger against the fresh cut on his cheek. I have never seen his face without any wounds. But still, in my eyes, he is the most beautiful-looking person I've ever met.

"Why are you making it hard for me to hate you?"
I whispered to myself.

You're so naive to fall for this man again.

No, I'm not. I don't love him.

Then why did you hesitate to kill him?

I didn't — I did what you said—

          You're pathetic,
      you know that, right?

Niccolò

I didn't realise I was dreaming until I heard someone crying. I squinted as the bright sunlight fell on my face making me come to my senses.

"Caterina? What's wrong?"
I asked in my cracked morning voice and tried to reach out to her, but she was too quick to move away.

"What happened? Do they hurt too much? Should I call the doctor?" I pointed toward her wounds.

She didn't say anything as if she couldn't understand and continued to move back.

Suddenly I held her hands and pinned them on the bed stand. I could feel her cold breath on my lips.

"Princess, look into my eyes and tell me what's wrong." I tried to keep her still, but she shook her head sideways on the bed as more and more tears rolled down her cheeks.

"Caterina, stop this and TALK TO ME !" My patience was giving up.

"I don't want to talk to you; get out." She somehow managed to speak between the sobbing.

"Not before you talk to me!"

"I don't want to talk to you! Bring me Tristano!"
She yelled as she pushed my chest with all her effort.

"Okay...Calm down; I'll send him. Don't cry anymore."

Even though I was hurt, I decided not to show it on my face. If Tristano is the key to knowing what she wants, then I'll let them talk.

Tristano

I took the key from my pocket as I opened the door, revealing Caterina sitting with her knees pulled up to her chest. Her face and arms were injured. Seeing her chained up like that made my heart clench.

When did she become one of us? I wish I were there to stop her. I wish I could stop her.

"What have you done to yourself?" I said as casually. She gave me an angry look as she blinked once or twice as if she was thinking something.

"You really shouldn't have done that." She said almost monotonously.

My eyes widened in shock.
"W-What do you mean?"

"I guess you don't want to be saved?"

"Is that why you called me? To threaten me ?"

"That's not all. We have a lot to talk about." She grins.

Oh lord.

Niccolò

"She isn't crazy!"

"She hears voices; she kills people in the most heinous way possible. What else do you  want her to become?" Tristano sighs.

"I will make surroundings better. She'll heal." I said as I threw the remaining cigarette into the ashtray ignoring his sharp glare at me.

"People like us, Niccolò, we never heal. We carry the darkness deep inside our hearts. We couldn't be saved. But I don't want that to become her destiny. Save her before it gets too  late."

"You know I can't send her away!" I banged the wall in frustration.

"It's time to let her go, Niccolò. Staying here has changed her in the worst possible way; she wasn't meant for this."

"I WILL NEVER LET HER GO; SHE IS ALL I HAVE."

"All you have to destroy? That's what you do anyway, don't you? Break things... break people?"

I didn't realise I punched his face until I saw blood running down his bottom lip.
I was about to kick him when suddenly I heard someone knocking on the door loudly enough to make us startle.

"Master, she-she—"

"What happened? TELL ME !" I roared as I pushed her aside, making her fall on the couch nearby, and run towards her room. I could hear Tristano following me, but I didn't care.

When I opened the door, I saw Caterina standing near the drawer with a broken piece of glass in her hand while my alcohol collection was shattered on the floor.

There was confusion on her face as if she was struggling with something internally.

"Princess"

"CATERINA?" She startled and looked at me with teary eyes.

"Drop it down. Now. Come on." I said calmly, trying to make her understand.

The grip around the glass piece tightened a little upon hearing the words.

"I am making it easy for you."  She tries to smile as tears roll down her already stained cheeks.

"What? No Caterina. Baby, look at me. You know how much I love you." I was terrified.

She shook her head in disapproval, her eyes still on the sharp glass. I started to move towards her slowly.

"Caterina, please, don't hurt yourself."

She looked at me for a second and then again at the glass. She was shaking in fear.

"Please listen to me, drop it. I care for you; I am here; I will take care of you; you are not alone."

I got there slowly and held my hand in front of her.

"Now give it to me," I whispered.

Tears began to roll down her cheeks.

"Please? For me? You will do it, right ?"

She closed her eyes before handing it to me and collapsed on the floor with a loud thud.

I sat beside her and hugged her tightly, not wanting to let go of her touch.

"Promise me you'll never do that again," I whisper as I press my lips on her temple, bringing her shivering delicate body closer to my chest.

"Call Lee." I mouthed towards Tristano, who silently moved out of the room with a concern carved all over his face.

A/N

There voices need to shut the fuck up