𝑪𝑯𝑨𝑷𝑻𝑬𝑹 𝑻𝑯𝑹𝑬𝑬: 𝑻𝑯𝑬 𝑬𝑿𝑪𝑬𝑷𝑻𝑰𝑶𝑵 𝑻𝑶 𝑻𝑯𝑬 𝑹𝑼𝑳𝑬

𝑺𝒊𝒏𝒄𝒆 𝒔𝒉𝒆 𝒈𝒐𝒕 𝒊𝒏 𝒉𝒆𝒓 𝒇𝒂𝒕𝒉𝒆𝒓'𝒔 𝑨𝒖𝒅𝒊 𝑹8 𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝒈𝒐𝒕 𝒊𝒏 𝒉𝒊𝒔 𝒑𝒆𝒏𝒕𝒉𝒐𝒖𝒔𝒆 𝒊𝒏 𝑺𝒐𝑯𝒐 𝒕𝒉𝒂𝒕 𝒏𝒊𝒈𝒉𝒕, Charlie barely spoke a few words to him

𝑺𝒊𝒏𝒄𝒆 𝒔𝒉𝒆 𝒈𝒐𝒕 𝒊𝒏 𝒉𝒆𝒓 𝒇𝒂𝒕𝒉𝒆𝒓'𝒔 𝑨𝒖𝒅𝒊 𝑹8 𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝒈𝒐𝒕 𝒊𝒏 𝒉𝒊𝒔 𝒑𝒆𝒏𝒕𝒉𝒐𝒖𝒔𝒆 𝒊𝒏 𝑺𝒐𝑯𝒐 𝒕𝒉𝒂𝒕 𝒏𝒊𝒈𝒉𝒕, Charlie barely spoke a few words to him. It was four days ago.

The day after the kidnapping, she already wanted to get back to her office. She needed to do something, to keep her mind occupied, far away from that headache and from drifting to these traumatizing thoughts. She couldn't allow herself that.

But it was hard when she was kept in that disproportionately big tower. In that spacious, airy, beautiful penthouse, yes, but... breathing some fresh air was all she wished at that moment.

Sitting on the barstool and her laptop on the kitchen counter top, she clicked on send email for the thirtieth time this morning while eating her pancakes and drinking her freshly pressed orange juice. It wasn't even 10 A.M. that she already exercised, showered, dressed, ate her breakfast from that same place. For the fourth day in a row. 

Only today she closed a deal with a high-potential startup.

She hopped from her highchair and put her plate and glass in the dishwasher before heading to the elevator. Looking at the numbers on the buttons inside, her fingers brushed First Floor. She wanted to push on that damn button so bad it took every ounce of will in her body to eventually chose another. During the long lift, she couldn't help herself but wipe her sweaty palms on her thighs, her breath a bit uneven.

The doors finally opened to an office that took the whole floor, her father's personal research and development department. The lair of a mad genius.

"Hi, Angel," Tony welcomed her from his desk, keeping his eyes on whatever he was creating, surrounding by holographic screens.

"How did you know I was coming?" Charlie tilted her head on a side, frowning.

"J.A.R.V.I.S. told me you left the floor," he answered, still not looking at her.

"Right," her father created J.A.R.V.I.S. years ago but she's never gotten used to it, and now she'd just found out it tracked her every move. Great. "Did it tell you that I finally bought that new company we were talking about a while ago?"

Tony stilled. Now she got his attention.

"No way. When?"

"Mhm... Five minutes ago," she fought to keep the grin off her face.

"Amazing, Sweetheart."

"Yeah, I think they might be the missing piece to my puzzle."

"You know what?" he suddenly stood from his desk, throwing his arms in the air. "Let's celebrate that tonight. With some music, a lot of champagne and petits fours. Just you and me. A little us time."