𝑪𝑯𝑨𝑷𝑻𝑬𝑹 𝑻𝑯𝑰𝑹𝑻𝑬𝑬𝑵: 𝑾𝑹𝑰𝑻𝑻𝑬𝑵 𝑶𝑵 𝑷𝑨𝑷𝑬𝑹

𝑺𝒖𝒏𝒍𝒊𝒈𝒉𝒕 𝒕𝒊𝒄𝒌𝒍𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒔𝒌𝒊𝒏 𝒐𝒏 𝒉𝒊𝒔 𝒄𝒉𝒆𝒆𝒌, James blinked a few times, adjusting his vision

But he didn't recognize his room. It took him a few seconds to clear the fog before his eyes and in his mind to realize he wasn't in his apartment in Brooklyn.

Did he fall asleep on Charlie's couch?

Shit.

He glanced at his watch.

Nine thirty in the morning.

Shit shit shit.

But it was pretty early for two party girls who came back from the club at 3 a.m.

He rubbed a hand on his face and suppressed a yawn before he lifted the blanket, which he did not remember having placed on him when he sat down last night.

Everything was so quiet.

James walked in the kitchen only for him to find it empty. Heading upstairs to her room, he knocked.

No answer.

He knocked again.

Silence.

James opened the door just a little bit and glanced inside.

His heart fell when his eyes landed on the empty bed. He bursted open the door, calling her name, and walked to the adjoining bathroom but found it empty too. Back to the master's bedroom, he pushed away a curtain to see her Cadillac parked at the same spot as it was yesterday... And as every other day, actually.

Panic rose inside him.

If she haven't left on her own, what if they took her again?

He would have awoken if it was the case. his hearing had never failed him before.

Until today, apparently.

"They left with Hogan," one of his men said over the phone.

"And?" Barnes kept an eye on the street just below the window, just in case.

"And what?"

"He said something? Where they were going? I don't know- You sure Hogan said nothing?" James paced in the bedroom, running a hand through his hair.

"Yes-" James didn't wait for another word before he hung up. Where did Fury found these men, seriously?

He tried to call her. Twice. He ended up on voice mail the both times.

James heard the front door opening and he rushed to the first floor, anger flooding in him. Why did she leave without him? 

That was what he was going to find out.

He arrived down the stairs only to see Steve, tiptoeing in his own house as if he was a teenager who just got home in the morning after a sneak out.

"Where were you?"