𝑪𝑯𝑨𝑷𝑻𝑬𝑹 𝑺𝑬𝑽𝑬𝑵: 𝑺𝑶𝑪𝑰𝑨𝑳 𝑴𝑬𝑫𝑰𝑨 𝑫𝑬𝑩𝑼𝑻

𝑺𝒊𝒑𝒑𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒄𝒊𝒏𝒏𝒂𝒎𝒐𝒏 𝒍𝒂𝒕𝒕𝒆 𝑱𝒂𝒎𝒆𝒔 𝒃𝒓𝒐𝒖𝒈𝒉𝒕 𝒉𝒆𝒓, they easily passed the security check after they entered inside the building

"What are you doing?" James frowned as he pushed the button, making the elevator doors closing.

"Posting an Instagram story," Charlie answered casually while she held her phone and took a selfie in the elevator's mirror. She thought about hiding most of her life from now on, but people would find it odd if she shot down her account. So she kept posting from time to time. "You know what Instagram is, right?"

Against the silence of her bodyguard, Charlie went on. "You don't?" she laughed, making him sighing and shaking his head in exasperation. "How old are you? 107?"

"The question is rather aren't you too old to use... That?"

"It's called an 'app'. And you'd be surprised to learn who's on it. You know what? Screw it, I'll tell you: everyone, except," she pretended to think, patting her index finger on her mouth, "you, old man."

The ding rang and the doors opened to a more crowded floor than usual.

"Hi, everyone. How was the weekend?" Charlie said to her team as she walked to her office. But most of them didn't greet her as happily as she just did. One person in particular caught her attention, "Bruce, are you okay? What's going on?"

"I should be the one asking that question," Bruce's frown deepened. "The police is here."

"What?"

"They're waiting for you in your office," he stated as some loose curls fell on his forehead.  "Charlie, I'm really concerned. Tell me what's happening."

Her eyes blinking fast, her gaze met James's for a fraction of a second. "Nothing. I'm sure it's a misunderstanding,"

"Do you want me to-"

"No," she cut him off and went out of his reach as he put a hand on her arm. Realizing she may have been too harsh, Charlie faked a smile before heading to her office. "I'll handle it myself."

Her blood boiling, she could feel the heavy stares of her employees as she walked with a firm step, James closely following behind her.

"How dare you showing up like that, in my building, in front of my team, while I recall had clearly asked you to keep this matter private?" Charlie challenged as she yanked open the door of her office.

"Miss Stark, you declined all of our calls-" he spoke only to be suddenly cut off, too.

"Simply because I already told you and your friends everything I know. Now if you don't mind Detective...," Charlie glanced at his badge on his chest, "Wilson, I have a lot of things to do."

"The one we caught haven't talked yet but I wanted to let you know that we received a phone call that night. The other man nowhere to be found? He's the one who called us," what he said had made Charlie blink multiple times. They quickly found her because of the tracker her father had hidden but... If what Detective Wilson revealed was true, that would mean that... the kidnapper wimped out? Why would he call the police when-