𝑪𝑯𝑨𝑷𝑻𝑬𝑹 𝑻𝑯𝑰𝑹𝑻𝒀-𝑺𝑰𝑿: 𝑻𝑶 𝑲𝑬𝑬𝑷 𝑯𝑬𝑹 𝑺𝑨𝑭𝑬 (part one)

Six months later

Six months later...

𝑱𝒂𝒎𝒆𝒔 𝒇𝒊𝒙𝒆𝒅 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒉𝒐𝒐𝒅 on his head.

There she was. On the cover of the magazine she had shooted for earlier this year. Her face was plastered everywhere. She even had a giant billboard with her face on it on Times Square.

He had sent her on August 6th her birthday gift, the earrings that went with the necklace he gave her last Christmas

He had sent her on August 6th her birthday gift, the earrings that went with the necklace he gave her last Christmas. He spun the matching ring between his fingers inside his pocket, the final piece to complete the set, imagining himself taking a knee before her and opening that velvet box, sliding that ring around her slender finger after she said yes.

The piece of jewelry was burning a hole through the fabric of his pants. He'd kept the ring inside his pocket since he'd first bought it in Lapland. Stupid, right? Thinking he could marry her. They didn't even really know each other back then. A couple of months, tops. And yet... It had resonated as an evidence. She was the woman he had always wanted but never deserved.

Tears started gathering at the inner corner of his eyes, blurring his vision, but he quickly shook his head. To feel sorry for himself had never been an option. He thought for so long that he didn't have a choice in life, but he did. He could have said no when Fury asked him to do that mission or when he asked him to infiltrate HYDRA and break up the organization from within. He could have left Charlie alone after the first time, when he escaped from the warehouse the night he kidnapped her. He could have kept his idea to himself when he went to Fury and suggested to be her bodyguard. He could have resisted her when they were alone. He could have. He could have... but he didn't.

And when he watched her leave the Stark Tower, his heart did a flip. How foolish he had been to hope she would wear the gifts he gave her. The earrings and matching necklace were probably at the bottom of a trash can by now. With the handwritten note he had slipped in the package.

It was maybe for the better. How could she forgive him after everything he had done?

Charlie crossed the sidewalk. Her dark hair was longer than he had remembered. It hit the lower of her back, the ends almost brushing her ass. James swallowed.