𝑪𝑯𝑨𝑷𝑻𝑬𝑹 𝑻𝑯𝑰𝑹𝑻𝒀: 𝑯𝑶𝑴𝑬

"Nervous?" Wilson asked from beside her in the elevator

"Not at all," Charlie replied, trying to sound confident, as she stared in front of her with her chin up and her hands clasped to prevent her from fidgeting.

The thing was, she hadn't been nervous until they arrived at the foot of the building. To pay the S.H.I.E.L.D. a visit had seemed like the right thing to do at the time, when Detective Wilson had asked her over the phone to come with him while she and James were at Central Park the other day.

How James didn't spot him at the park was a mystery to her.

He probably wouldn't be worried of her being with him though, the devilish smirk he had worn the moment she threw Wilson's number in the trash inside her office a couple of months ago spoke volumes.

James wouldn't approve this. Her being here.

And then doubt seized her at that very instant.

Was she really doing the right thing?

"If you say so."

"Don't make me regret coming with you," she answered with a smirk as the ding rung out and the doors started to open, meaning they'd reached their destination: Alexander Pierce's office.

Smoothing a hand on her light sage loose dress pants, Charlie cleared her throat before readjusting her matching suit jacket, being the first to step out of the elevator.

Muffled voices became clearer and clearer as they walked through the long hallway, seeming to leave from the very same office they were going to.

"It's already taking too long," the deep voice argued. "I want them out of my way. That's why I pay you for."

Two masculine frames appeared through the open door. Charlie wasn't surprised that one fo them was Secretary Alexander Pierce's. But the other...

Suddenly they stopped talking when Pierce spotted them, and the other man turned around.

She hadn't saw him since the Executive Committee at the end of last year. 

If he sounded angry before, Obadiah Stane was now looking at her with so much fury in his eyes she wouldn't have been surprised if he had ever threw himself at her.

He eventually leaned toward Pierce and whispered a few words in his ear she couldn't understand from how far she was standing, and then walked past them without acknowledging her and left the office.

"Miss Stark," Alexander Pierce greeted her with the most fakest smile she had ever seen. "To what do I owe the pleasure of your visit?"

"Just wanted to check what was becoming of my grandfather's agency," she made a show of looking around, scanning his office, thoughtful.

"Is that it?" he lightly asked, though Charlie felt like he was waiting for her to visit him, like he was prepared for her to come here.

"Now that I'm thinking about it, there's actually another thing," she said as she refocused her gaze on him. "I made an unfortunate encounter with two of your agents a few months ago."