𝑪𝑯𝑨𝑷𝑻𝑬𝑹 𝑻𝑯𝑰𝑹𝑻𝒀-𝑺𝑰𝑿: 𝑻𝑶 𝑲𝑬𝑬𝑷 𝑯𝑬𝑹 𝑺𝑨𝑭𝑬 (part two)

𝑪𝒉𝒂𝒓𝒍𝒊𝒆 𝒛𝒐𝒏𝒆𝒅 𝒐𝒖𝒕

𝑪𝒉𝒂𝒓𝒍𝒊𝒆 𝒛𝒐𝒏𝒆𝒅 𝒐𝒖𝒕.

It felt strange to be back here, in her office. Everything was at the same spot where she had left it months ago. Nothing had changed, expect for maybe a thin layer of dust covering the furniture.

She had that strange feeling again when she left this morning. As if someone was watching her. She immediately called Detective Wilson, and he promised her he would check the security cameras positioned outside the building himself and see if something was abnormal. Which wasn't, he assured when he called her back two minutes later.

It didn't ease her, though.

A knock at her door startled her and she dropped the piece of paper she was holding. It was Pepper, her hands on her very pregnant belly. Charlie opened a drawer and buried the note she had received for her birthday with the gifted earrings. It was handwritten and unsigned, though she couldn't mistake James's handwriting.

Happy 27th Birthday, doll.

I hope one day you'll let me tell you the whole story.

I love you.

She hadn't worn the two pieces of jewelry outside, but she had in bed. The necklace around her neck, and the earrings on her lobes. She had never been fancier to go to bed, nor had she felt more stupid and pathetic. But she still wore them anyway.

"You ready?" Pepper asked, a warm, glowy smile tugging at her lips. Pregnancy suited her for sure, and Charlie couldn't help but wonder when would it be her time. Not any time soon anyway. She had seen herself and James becoming parents, but it all went up in smoke the moment she learnt who he truly was. What he truly did. Her heart still ached at the thought. It felt like an open wound that would never heal. Six months had passed and every time she thought about it, it all felt like the first day. She was considering not even bothering picking up the pieces of her heartbreak at this point.

Charlie shook her head, trying to ignore the dull ache in her chest. "Coming."

Tonight was being held an innovation award ceremony and Charlie was a nominee for the best innovative CEO of the year. She had chosen this event to finally be in the spotlight again. Not the twins birthday, that was also being celebrated tonight. It would bring her back too many bad memories.

For this occasion, she chose to wear the earrings her father had gifted her, the one with the chip hidden behind the blue diamonds, and a navy blue draped dress. The fabric was tight around her body and hit the floor, hiding her Jimmy Choo high heels when she was standing.

 The fabric was tight around her body and hit the floor, hiding her Jimmy Choo high heels when she was standing