𝑪𝑯𝑨𝑷𝑻𝑬𝑹 𝑭𝑰𝑽𝑬: 𝑻𝑯𝑬 𝑻𝑯𝑰𝑵𝑮 𝑾𝑰𝑻𝑯 𝑪𝑶𝑭𝑭𝑬𝑬

𝑻𝒉𝒆 𝒏𝒆𝒙𝒕 𝒅𝒂𝒚, Charlie put on her trench coat, grabbed her bag and some documents before opening her front door to leave for work

𝑻𝒉𝒆 𝒏𝒆𝒙𝒕 𝒅𝒂𝒚, Charlie put on her trench coat, grabbed her bag and some documents before opening her front door to leave for work. It was still very early in the morning but she couldn't wait any longer, the excitement to finally be reunited with her team woke her up at least two hours before she usually would have. She stopped in her tracks when she saw James in front of her house.

"Oh," she raised a brow at him. "Hi, Sergeant. What are you doing here?"

"Came to pick you up."

"Have a good day, hun," Steve said from inside. 

"Yeah, see you tonight," she spoke louder for him to hear from wherever he was in the house. "For what?" Charlie said, this time to James.

"You wanted me to drive you to your office yesterday and now you don't?" She slammed the door and went to her car, but James tsked. "Not gonna happen."

"See? I knew you couldn't handle it. I should have driven. You made cough and splutter the engine-"

"Your car is way too noticeable. We're taking mine and I'm driving."

"My car is completely fine and I can drive myself to work. I did it for years, it never got me in trouble."

"Eager to re-experience the twins' birthday after party, Miss Stark?"

Charlie froze at his words. The sudden memory of fear she felt that night... Chills ran down her spine, but she didn't let herself think about it too much and too long. For most of the ride, she said nothing, her head facing the window and watching passers-by.

"Double-park here, please," Charlie asked, her voice steady, monotonous, breaking the awkward silence. James glanced at her, visibly irritated by her request, but stopped on the side of the road. "I won't be long."

As soon as she got out of the car, she rushed into a shop with a cute store front. She readjusted the strap of her baguette bag on her shoulder and opened the door, tiny bells jingling above her head. 

"Good morning, Charlie!" the employee behind the counter exclaimed. "New car? I didn't recognize you until you came inside."

"Hi, MJ. That one is temporary. Mine is... being repaired. You know how these old Cads need to be pampered."

"Yeah, I guess," the bartender shrugged. "The usual?"

"Yes," Charlie could feel the heavy and icy gaze of James on the back of her head. "And add an extra, please."

"We haven't seen you around these days," MJ said while she prepared the order.

"Yeah, I, hum," she gulped and awkwardly chuckled. "I took a few days off. Not a big deal. How's college?"

Charlie put a fifty-dollar bill on the counter top, left without picking up the change after grabbing her order and briefly wishing a good day to the familiar bartender. She walked fast back to the car and climbed in the large Mercedes SUV again with a tall cup of coffee in each hand.