𝑪𝑯𝑨𝑷𝑻𝑬𝑹 𝑻𝑾𝑬𝑵𝑻𝒀-𝑬𝑰𝑮𝑯𝑻: 𝑩𝑶𝑳𝑫 𝑨𝑵𝑫 𝑪𝑶𝑵𝑭𝑰𝑫𝑬𝑵𝑻

𝑻𝒉𝒆 𝒍𝒂𝒔𝒕 𝒕𝒊𝒎𝒆 𝒔𝒉𝒆 𝒘𝒆𝒏𝒕 𝒓𝒖𝒏𝒏𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝒕𝒂𝒖𝒈𝒉𝒕 𝒉𝒆𝒓 𝒂 𝒍𝒆𝒔𝒔𝒐𝒏: better be with James Barnes than rather be against him

That morning, Charlie had put a pair of leggings and a hoodie on to go running in Central Park like she used to and James jogged by her side.

They talked, laughed, bickered and laughed again until they stopped at a small food cart, nearby a playground on one of the main paths.

James couldn't resist the smell of hot dogs and it didn't take him long to corrupt Charlie telling her she deserved a little treat as well.

"We're getting a snack to refuel," he had said, turning her ENGINEER baseball cap backwards on his head. "It's carbohydrates. You need carbohydrates to run in the park, Charlie."

Carbohydrates or not, it was his eyes that had made her giggle and say yes - they softened, as if she had caught a glimpse of the true him for a split second

She couldn't refuse anything when he looked at her this way. Actually, she couldn't even place a coherent thought when he was coming out the complete shell he had created for himself.

The cocky, moody bodyguard was slowly giving way to a softer, gentler version of him.

Baby steps.

Even with how torturing the rule she had created was for both of them, she was glad. Glad because otherwise would she have ever seen him like this?

Her heart sank at what she could have missed.

They were both waiting in line to order when Charlie heard her phone ring, taking her out of her reverie.

"Be right back," she said as she walked a couple of steps away, answering the call. "Sherlock Holmes," she gritted him rather sarcastically once she was far away enough from James.

"Behind you."

Charlie was smart enough not to turn around completely. Taking a quick glance in his direction, Detective Wilson gave her a short wave from the bench where he was sitting on, next to a couple watching their children playing in the playground.