18. Endearment

Roxana

Besides the fact that I feel awful, I am half-naked in a foreign bed and have overslept half my workday.

"I am fine and I need to work. I just need to eat something, take a pill and everything will be fine," I say, still sort of confused and a bit irritated. 

"Do you deliberately ignore what I have just said?"

"No. I heard you. I am just telling you I don't have time for this."

"You fainted and have a severe infection besides the fact that I bet you cannot walk to the door without getting dizzy," he says looking at me with a faint half-smile. There is nothing amusing here. Nothing.

"Why are you smiling?"

"I am just smirking, not smiling, because you are amusing. On top of having a total lack of common sense when it comes to your well-being, you are not at all what I have expected in other senses either," he says and sits down on the bed.

"There is nothing amusing about me right now. Where are my T-shirt and my phone? Christian is going to kill me."

"Ah, Christian... What is it about you and Christian?" he asks slightly... sarcastic? I am not sure how to read the tone of his voice.

I slowly come to my senses and begin to get a better grasp of the surroundings and my situation.

"Nothing except the fact that I need him to pay my bills."

"Sure? In the meetings you were together it looked rather that you don't question anything he says and comply to every stupid whim of his," he says and leans on the bed on his side with an arm tucked under his head in a playful manner looking me in the eyes and smiling still amused.

Someone is suddenly in a good mood. And I, I need to take control of this very weird situation.

"Marco..."

"Mhm...? Yes, Roxana. It's Roxana, right? Not Roxane like Christian calls you," he states with the same expression.

"It's just a name and what are you doing here? I need my phone and something to wear," I say but can't stay stern-faced when I see his nonchalant expression that manages to relax me somehow.

"I gave you already one shirt, don't be greedy. Besides, as far as I am concerned we are in a meeting now. And after that it will be a business lunch, after that, it's a meeting with Tomaso, and the day went by flying," he continues with the same bemused expression.

"No chance to fight it?" I ask laughing. Maybe, just maybe, I could indulge for only one day. Have a rest...

"None whatsoever. But I will give you a shirt, because I am generous and because you have awful taste in clothing."

"You are rude and I liked my t-shirt." And I didn't think I would feel like laughing today. 

"Ok, since we settled this, wait a minute. I will bring you one and after that, we can have an early dinner on the terrace. Deal? Don't even try to run away because there is security at your door," he says, staying up from the bed, bowing his head, and exiting the room.

Ok, now I have a few minutes to think about what the fuck I am doing. I am indeed a bit dizzy. He was right. I fish my phone out from my jacket; there is indeed a missed call from Christian. Hmm, should I call back?

I could be... in a meeting, though the meeting sounds more like a date. My father just died and am here low-key happy in the hope of a sort of date with the guy I like. Pretty nasty of me. I feel guilty in a simple word and awkward.