19. Details

Roxana

"Tomaso, chiama dei cantanti, delle ragazze e Rodrigo il figlio di puttana. Voglio fargli un'offerta che non può rifiutare./ Tomaso call some bands, some girls and Rodrigo the motherfucker. I want to make him an offer he can't refuse."

Stefano's voice is thundering through the hallway. He speaks much too fast for me to understand anything. I should try harder to learn this language else I am missing the interesting parts. Damn Italian and my lack of time.

I look at Marco and see up close how the smile on his face is vanishing and his expression is getting tense.

"Well, fuck..." He turns to me and brushes a loose hair strand off my face.

"My plan was to stay more but duty is calling. Well screaming..."

"Is he... umm... drunk?"

"And probably high and angry. I have to see to it before unrepairable damage occurs."

Smooth as today's spring breeze he brushes his lips against my forehead.

"Sleep tight, Pebbles. Till next time."

And in a few seconds, he is up and on the way to the door.

"Lock the door and don't exit under any circumstances, ok? I mean it."

I nod and stand up watching him disappear and sigh.

Turning the key into the lock I wonder what happened. It is probably best if I stay out of it but I can't help being curious.

My clothes come off, everything except underwear and the black shirt that I look at smirking.

Laying in bed, I call Kary and Dani again feeling pretty bad for not having done it during the day.

"Hey, Roxi. What's up?"

"Nothing, laying in bed. I wanted to check on you two."

"We are doing great. Had a fun day together. Right, Dani?"

"Listen. I will never be able to repay you for everything you did for us."

"Roxi, we are friends; you are actually my best friend. You were in a horrible situation and I hate it when stuff like this is happening to anyone. Now imagine how it feels seeing this happen to someone I care about. But are you okay? I mean, I know your father died and you are sad but you are never in bed at nine."

"Today I am. I felt a bit sick and I kind of got the day off forcefully."

Kary doesn't need to know how sick and why I was sick, as Dani also didn't need to know how exactly our father died.

"Okay, makes sense. But did Christian actually give you sick leave without complaining a lot? I mean you didn't take a sick day in two years, because yeah you are kind of stupid but also because he is stingy."

And here you have again the Kary that is questioning everything.

"No. Marco made him do it... Somehow."

"Marco? Is Marco the cute guy from the photo?"

"Mhm."

"Hmm. So did you two...?"

"What? No. I think I am friend-zoned but my crush is getting bigger and bigger. Anyway, no time for that. Let me talk to Dani."

"Will do, let me walk over to him. Bye! Kiss, kiss."

"Karyme Zulema bint Mohamad Abadi, I love you. Just making sure that you know that."

"Then never use my full name ever again. Here, talk to the kid. Love you too."