39. That kind or mornings

Marco

And I was right that sleeping was not in the cards for me last night.

Roxi was there, in my bed. Not how I imagined the situation a few weeks ago when Roxi and bed were in the same sentence, but my life has never been quite as I imagined it.

I am obviously not the only one who cannot sleep. She is just lying there in the dark with closed eyes, probably to not have to look at me or speak to me. I mean it's totally understandable, I am a gangster and a killer and my brother raped her and added another trauma to what looks like a long string of previous ones.

Maybe that's why we met, so I can redeem a little bit of my life and my actions.

One million euros. Lorenzo will certainly not want to give so much money to a random girl but he cannot refuse me; however, as usual, it will come with a price like everything in life.

It seems she fell asleep finally.

This is a no-sleeping night, definitely, so better cut it short.

I stand up and enter the bathroom, take a shower and so on, and get dressed to see my honourable grandfather.

I better not be a prick to him today since I want to ask for a... big... favour and I also must admit that taking on all the trouble to bring Roxi here he was really attentive and even kind, going against his principles. Maybe he deserves after all some genuine gratitude. 

And maybe later today I can have coffee with Roxi in Rome; well if we get past the don't touch me and burn in hell part. That might take some time though. She needs a therapist... that and a million euros. But hey, some have a thing for demanding women, I just never thought I was one of them though. I smile in self-irony.

Now she looks quite peaceful sleeping. You very unlucky girl, it's really sad when a guy like me is not even the worst part of your life.

Strange life, right Roxi?

I brush a strand of her hair off her face and she sighs.

"It's okay, I am going to take care of you, just trust me, even if it's difficult. I would never hurt you," I whisper and walk away.

Like most old people, Lorenzo is a real morning person. At five he is already in his office.

"Good morning, son. You are up early today. You don't look as if you slept through," he says and I might trace a small smirk on his face.

I didn't sleep indeed, Lorenzo, but not because of the reason that you might think. I wish...

"Did you enjoy your present?"

Don't be an ass...

"It was... thoughtful indeed. Listen, I need a million."

He scoffs and laughs out loud behind the huge mahogany desk. 

"May I ask for what?"

"You may but I prefer not to answer."

"Then you won't get it. It's that simple. We have a meeting at ten."

"You know, I don't really feel like attending it. Or any meeting today for the matter."

"Don't act like a brat. You cannot just walk into my office and ask for a million without even telling me what for. Do you want a new car? There are plenty in the garage. Clothes? Drugs?"

"Why can't I? Because my name is not Vincenzo?"

He frowns. You see, Lorenzo, I did some research too, to assess my new position.