29. I would do anything

Roxana

"Roxi, for fuck's sake, answer your damn phone. You ghosted me at the mall for being half an hour late and you don't even have the courtesy to answer the ten times I have called you. Don't tell me Marco came to visit the 'clock museum' and that's why you ditched me, bitch," says Kary, mildly irritated but smiling, when she sees me entering the apartment at eleven in the evening.

"I wish..." I answer exhausted, collapsing on one of the kitchen chairs.

"Fuck. What happened?"

"I met Vitali Bulgakov."

"And who is the fucker?" she asks, looking me up and down, rather concerned. 

"The one that took Ivan's place. I need a drink."

Kary opens a cupboard, takes a tequila bottle out, and hands it to me. I take a big sip and sigh.

"He wants the million dad owed Ivan, in one month and fifty thousand in one week."

"We have to go to the police."

"We can't."

"The police officers in Switzerland are not as corrupt as the ones in Moldova; they are going to help you."

"No. He knows where we live. There is even now someone outside surveying the building. He said he is going to hurt you and Dani if I don't comply."

"We have to find a way. There are witnesses protection programs."

"I don't know. I am frightened. I have a new job, that makes my credit score lower, and I am afraid no bank is going to give me that much money as a default." I say all these thing on a palcid tone, rather matter or factly. 

"Roxi. We go to the police right now."

"Where is Dani?"

"Having a sleepover at Moritz's place, remember?" It feels like thunder stroke me. 

I take my phone out right away and call him but he doesn't answer. What the fuck Dani?! Don't do this right now.

After a few seconds, I get a text from him. It's a selfie of him and Vitali. The caption says 'Just to make sure you don't do me dirty too. Get the fifty thousand and I let him go. Do me dirty and I do him dirty.'

I drop the phone and start screaming. 

"Son of a bitch," mutters Kary.

The whole night I kept crying and shaking until Kary forced me to take a pill to calm my nerves.

The next morning I call in sick and go to all the banks I can find. It seems like the only way but rather rocky and desolated altogether. 

"So, miss, you want two loans, one of fifty thousand and one of one million Euros?" asks the back employee rather politely. 

"Yes."

"The fifty thousand we can grant you most probably. The funds will be eligible in two weeks if everything goes smoothly. Here is the list of documents we need. Regarding the million it will be a longer process since we need to verify your eligibility and your credit score. Chances are fifty-fifty. We will let you know in three or four weeks if it is accepted or not."

"No! I can't wait that long. I need fifty thousand by the end of the week and a million by the end of this month. I can't wait any longer! It's a life-or-death matter. Your advertising says you are the fastest." I grab his arm, shaking like a mad woman. 

"We are. This is the fastest we can do."

"Please, I beg you," I tell the clerk, and can't hold back my tears.