45. Things you can do

Roxana

Kary looks at us for a few seconds before she is able to say something.

"Rox. You are here, and alive," she voices in the end and hugs me almost tearing up.

"I... am. Seemingly."

Then she turns to Marco raising an eyebrow and stretching out her hand smirking.

"And you are ...? Let me guess. Spiderman?"

"I mostly go by Marco. Nice to meet you, Karyme."

I frown a bit, knowing exactly that I never told him her full name and Karyme is not quite the go to one that shortens in Kary.

"Welcome, Marco without a surname. Your reputation precedes you. I really thought we would never meet."

"Does it now?"

"Yes, and you are even hotter in real life. I can hardly forget the subject of the most interesting assignment I had lately."

This is weird. It's like watching a lion and a cheetah circling each other in the savannah, not being sure who is what. They seem to find some strange pleasure in this.

If I didn't know better I would say they are flirting.

"This goes both ways. Karyme, the disgraced daughter of Mohamad Karym bin Husein Abadi. I am a fan; I must admit."

For the first time in a long while Kary doesn't know what to say, just stares wide eyed.

"Bitch, you just brought the devil into our home."

"The son of Mefisto. You should see grampa Medici," I tell Kary and notice how happy I am to be in her presence once again.

"Well come in. Just promise me you won't bite."

"Nah, Roxi is not there yet," he says and seems to be in a strangely good mood.

"Uh, burn, likely not, but she didn't get laid for centuries unless something that I am not aware of happened. Anyway, come in, the neighbors start staring. I don't have anything to eat or drink because I am broke but I suppose his highness can provide us with some take out, or we can hit McDonald's " says Kary looking at Marco.

His expression is just precious when he hears takeout and McDonald's and I can't help grinning, trying to distract myself from the first things Kary mentioned.

"He.... is a picky eater."

"Oh yeah, I forgot he's Italian. Well then, five stars it is, since I am not paying," answers Kary amused, but I can sense her nervousness.

At the end of the day, she is playing cool but I brought an actual murderer into our house.

"I will go get changed. Come on Rox, help pe pick an outfit."

In other words, tag along I want to tell you stuff in private.

"I uh, will be right back," I tell Marco still feeling weird that he is here, in Switzerland, in my apartment, where I used to be normal and live normally.

After she closes the door to her room, Kary looks me up and down with arms folded over her chest.

"I am really sorry. I didn't know he wanted to come here until it was too late and... I understand you are afraid but he will not hurt you. I will never let anyone hurt you ever again," I say and feel tears pouring from my eyes. "I am sorry that you had to see Ivan. I am sorry for what he did to you. I am sorry for this whole mess."

"That is not precisely what I am concerned about. I mean... It was no delight meeting Ivan. The guy is really gross. I cannot even imagine how you could... Ugh makes me feel like puking only thinking about that. But! I am a journalist. I am chasing stories and adventures. I am a fighter and I am not traumatized. Don't worry about me, Roxi. You have enough to worry about."