25. Farewell

Roxana

It was easy. When I looked at Kary holding her mother's hand I perceived it as easy to decide where my place in the world was and what I was supposed to do.

The resignation letter to Christian was written in a few minutes and I didn't hesitate to press send. Kary and Dani are the only family I have left and my place is by their side.

After we reached Bern again I had to leave Kary an utter crying mess and go to the airport. Christian hasn't answered yet, but he will, latest on Monday.

I only have a one-month notice period which is fine. It's more than enough to find another job and leave my affairs in order.

Speaking of affairs, maybe I do manage to get laid at least once this month. I must admit that would be nice. It's easy to lose control of my imagination and picture my hands touching Marco's face, his lips, and that perfectly carved torso where I could effortlessly trace the lines of many muscles. He is beautiful and it seems that damn dance was the catalyst needed for our strange but very natural chemistry to bubble and explode.

I will just go for it. Now I have nothing to lose and it would be nice to end my time in Sicily with some candy.

This time, I get the bus to Taormina and afterward to the villa. I felt bad to ask Damian again to pick me up.

A bit after eleven, I reach my destination. It's dark and silent. One of the men guarding the place is opening the gate for me. I wonder if Marco is back but I can't just walk in the villa and ask, can I?

Judging by my usual luck I will encounter Stefano who will ask me to blow him again. I bet Marco will not be delighted If I tell him that and the reason is rather hard to explain.

The next morning I drink my coffee on the scaffolding hopping for a magical encounter. Without success though, but around ten Tomaso comes to our daily meetings.

"May I ask something... hmm personal?" I say in the end after dancing around the subject for hours.

His face becomes stern. I guess this is a no.

"Don Marco is not here," he says in the end sighing.

Oh.

"Actually I wanted to ask if Don Stefano is feeling better and what happened to him."

It's a lie. I care more about Marco's whereabouts but, I want to know this too and he answered partially the first question.

"He is, but what happened to him is not information I can share. Anything else?"

"Hmm actually yes. Why do you call Marco 'don'? You don't do that with any other person from the staff. It's mostly first name basis."

"Because he is not part of the staff, obviously. Though I understand your confusion; he often behaves ambiguously. Don Marco is Don Stefano's brother as you might be suspecting already. Roxana, you don't look like a golddigger, and given this question, you had no idea who you were meddling with but now you know, so act accordingly and break it off. It's for the best, believe me. "

"I will. I resigned. I will be gone by the end of the month."

Tomaso looked at me for an instant.

"I am quite sorry to hear that, it is very pleasant working with you."

"Thank you," I answer, smiling genuinely.

Around five, I finally receive the phone call I was dreading.

"You ungrateful bitch."

"Hello to you too, Christian."

"I accepted to not fire you after how you behaved recently and now you pull this shit."