41. As a kite

Marco

This one is with some smut, be aware.

The beat of the song makes me shiver. It's deep, loud, and slightly obnoxious; like most of the people gathered here tonight. I had too much to drink. Colourful neon lights are reflecting in the silver tray with the cocaine in front of me.

I look at the white powder, then at the men around the table eying me strangely, at Rosangela, and in the end at the girl holding the apple and bouncing her big breasts impatiently.

Rosangela smirks.

"Avanti, cowboy/ Go ahead, cowboy," she says, laughing.

"Non essere una puttana, non stai aiutando./ Don't be a bitch; you are not helping," I answer.

"Neanch'io intendo, questo è semplicemente troppo divertente da guardare./ Neither am I intending. This is just too fun to watch."

She sees how uncomfortable I am and just laughs in genuine amusement.

I sigh and remove as tactfully as possible the hands of the girl that is sitting on my lap from my crotch. I would roll my eyes if that would not be so contra-productive.

"Puoi per favore allontanarti? Grazie/ Can you please step away? Thank you," I tell her. She just pouts but doesn't move.

"Ora./ Now," I insist using a harsher tone and she finally stands up and walks away.

Lorenzo wants me to get this deal to prove my worth. This is a challenge and he knows it because he seemingly studied what I like and what I don't, most of all. It's probably all in that folder beginning with how I like my coffee and ending with how, why, and in what way I am damaged. That must be a long chapter, I guess.

These are mostly lower-ranking criminals that need to be kept in check. I bet Lorenzo is pretty disgusted and finds it tedious to deal with them too. Ok, let's get this over with; it makes me nervous to leave Roxi there alone for too long after what happened this morning.

I have to channel my inner Stefano. Stefano is so good at these things: being social with people who are really not pleasant, sniffing stuff, drinking heavily, banging one or two strippers, and making people like him. It's his element, while I feel terribly uncomfortable and misplaced, not that it matters... 

I have always avoided doing drugs. I hate it when I am not in control, but this time, I have to be likeable and relatable so that these people trust me. They have to view me as one of their own.

Faking a smile, I bow down to sniff one line and push the silver tablet further.

God damn it, the shit is strong. It is going to be a... complicated night.

"Non muoverti!/ Don't move," I tell the girl holding the apple. I close my eyes, take the pistol out and shoot.

Some shrieks, a few gasps and screams, and then cheering. Homerun. Even the girl smiles and cheers. Idiot. She should be frightened.

A few glasses of whiskey and annoying chats about drugs and money later I can leave this place, and they are pleased. I can see it on their faces. I successfully pulled a Stefano tonight but I feel a headache building up, and my gaze is cloudy. It was for the greater good, so just suffer through it, Marco.

You are also high and should not act on any impulses. The effect will surely last at least another hour and it feels quite bad. 

The driver has to remind me that we arrived because I was so engulfed in strange memories that I didn't acknowledge that the motor was turned off.