37. Happy birthday Mr. President

Marco

"I am waiting."

"For?" Lorenzo smirks and lifts an eyebrow.

"A lecture? A punishment?"

"There is no need to tell you that you were an utter fool and that I am disappointed. I have been wondering how it came to that because, amazingly, you seemed unusually calculated in comparison with the rest of your family. I thought you got something from me after all, but then you steer such havoc in the first of many meetings. You sure know how to make yourself memorable; how come you managed to stay anonymous for so many years?"

I look out the window annoyed.

"And I didn't think Stefano Messina has any leverage over you. I mean, had. I hope we are past that embarrassing point." He rolls his eyes slightly to emphasize his disapproval. 

"He thinks I murdered his daughter. It looks like I murdered his daughter. Of course, he has leverage over me, because..."

"Because what? Because he is your brother... I didn't think you were so sentimental."

"I am certain you cannot understand that. You gunned your own brother down and lectured me not long ago about the thickness of blood. Now are you not a double standards-bearing hypocrite?"

Lorenzo's frown deepens and he clenches his fist. 

"That is however not the point of this discussion. Who is she to you?"

"Who is who?"

"Oh please. The blond girl that made you start a fistfight in the meeting and shoot ten of Buonavota's bodyguards. Who she is per se is rather irrelevant, because after a superficial check, I saw she is rather insignificant but we often give meaning to rather meaningless things, don't we? So? Who is she?"

"If she is that insignificant why are we even talking about this?"

"Because as a capo it is not good to have any weaknesses. How do you think I survived so long and preserved my position?"

By being a ruthless, heartless prick?

"So it's better to eliminate a budding one before it escalates," he continues.

"Don't you dare!"

"Or, what, Marco?" he says walking closer with steady steps and his icy gaze bored into mine.

"Or I will act exactly as you would when you don't get what you want."

Lorenzo just scoffs and walks back to the chair behind the massive desk.

"Stop being overly dramatic and let's discuss how we can control the damage you did."

"I don't have time for that."

"This is the highest priority. What other plans do you have, huh?"

"I will go to Sicily to talk to Stefano."

"Most certainly not, you silly boy!"

"I don't care what you think and I am not your employee to command."

He just keeps looking at me sternly and mightyly annoyed.

"If you get too close, Stefano is going to shoot her. You know that, don't you? If you insist on this stupidity, everything is only going to get worse for her."

Not like it's not bad enough. Being Stefano's girlfriend is awful, being whatever she is to him now, because girlfriend is not it, can only be worse.

Oh, Roxi, we bitterly need to have a conversation; I am mighty curious how it came to this.