26. Promises

Marco

God damn it. I love you, Anabella; I swear I do, but I was kind in the middle of something really, really pleasant.

All the assassin training did not prepare me for this situation. It is funny somehow though.

Smoothly I move my hands on Roxi's back to close her bra again. Ah well...

"Anabella, cosa ci fai qui? Scommetto che tua madre ti sta cercando./ Anabella what are you doing here? I bet your mom is looking for you."

"Don't tell me you have a daughter because that is something you really should have mentioned at least briefly. She does look a bit like you," says Roxi, looking at me skeptically.

"Pebbles, meet my niece Anabella."

Anabella pouts and looks at us frowning.

"Mamma e papà si stanno urlando addosso e papà ha preso di nuovo una pistola. Ero spaventata, quindi sono venuto a cercarti per dire loro di smetterla. Sei l'unico che papà ascolta./ Mommy and daddy are screaming at each other and daddy pulled out a gun again. I was frightened so I came looking for you to tell them to stop. You are the only one daddy listens to."

Fuck. Fuck. Fuck.

"Ho capito, tesoro. Dove sono loro? Verrò tra un minuto e provvederò a questo, ok?/ I understand, sweety. Where are they? I will come in a minute and see to that, okay?"

I knew it was not going to be smooth with Chiara and Anabella suddenly living here.

A gunshot resonates through the building. Christ, Stefano! I feel Roxi's body tense in my embrace and see tears appearing in Anabella's eyes.

"Roxi, I really know how it looks and sounds but seemingly Stefano is pulling some crap again and I have to see to it," I say, kissing her gently.

She nods. It's so damn difficult it is to leave her in this brief moment. I am again walking away as I did after our beach outing.

"I will come see you. Clock museum and Swiss chocolate and stuff. Ok?"

At least she does not look angry, maybe just disappointed.

"Marco, will you be okay?"

It feels strange to hear this question. There hasn't been anybody concerned about me, except maybe Tomaso, in a very long time.

"Sure. Why are you ... Concerned?"

"Why wouldn't I be? Stefano is crazy. Ups sorry, I didn't mean to say that. Go take care of the kid. She is cute. Remember, clock museum," she says, kissing my cheek.

You are just cute, Pebbles.

A familiar scream echoes through the house signaling that I have to leave.

Scooping Anabella up we make our way to Stefano's wing.

"Uncle Marco, is that your girlfriend?" she says, looking at me sternly; well, as stern as a six-year-old can look.

"Why do you ask?"

"Because you were kissing her on the mouth. Mommy says you kiss only your boyfriend on the mouth."

I bet she does.

"Hmm, she is pretty with the hair like Barbie but I don't want you to marry her. I want you to marry only me."

I can't help smiling.

"But I am too old to marry you. You will find someone suitable. How about Luca? You liked him last month."