Chapter Twenty-Two - Dimitri

"How long have you been an officer of the law?" Her father asked me as soon as Ava left.

Ava's father didn't look his age, and he seemed like the type of man who took very well of his health. He was tall, but not taller than me.

Black and white pepper medium-length hair sat on his head, brushed loosely, with dark eyes hidden behind black reading glasses.

"Almost ten years, sir."

"And how did you meet my lovebug?" He asked, leaning back on the couch with his arms crossed over his chest.

His face was stern, rigid, emotionless as he awaited my answer.

"In the grocery store, sir."

"Dimitri, you're not allergic to rhubarb, are you?" Her mother asked from the kitchen, cutting off her husband's interrogation of me.

"No, Mrs. Asherwood, I'm not. Do you need any help in the kitchen?" I asked, already getting up.

"You're sweet, thank you. Kira and Lenora are helping me."

"Ava is my only daughter. I don't know if she told you, but it took us a long time to conceive her. My wife and I...we had fertility issues." I felt his shoulders slump slightly with his confession before they stiffened again.

"She's told me, yes."

"So, you must know how important my daughter is to me."

I nodded my head, "Of course, sir. I do. I understand."

"Ava mentioned briefly that you're the one that's been raising and supporting your sister ever since your parents died. May they rest in peace."

I swallowed nervously as I rubbed the palms of my hands on my thighs.

I hated speaking about my parents. I hated bringing them up. I hated talking about that day.

"Yes, I have, sir."

"Ava is my little girl, and if you ever hurt her, not even your job or the law can save you from me. Do you understand?"

"Yes, sir. I understand. I'd never hurt her. Your daughter...she means a lot to me, more than you know, and more than I can put into words."

"Robert. My name is Robert." He said, offering me up a smile, "and that's what I like to hear."

"Dad, are you bugging him?" Ava showed up, with Aiden in her hand, as she sat down next to me.

I had to hold back the urge to kiss her right on the mouth. Like I've wanted to do ever since I saw her strut in the living room looking delicious in the dress she was wearing.

It was a gorgeous dress, but Ava made it look like that. My perfect, beautiful, sexy fucking woman.

"Course not, lovebug."

"He's a good guy, dad. Don't worry."

"It's my job to worry." Her father said anyways.

She rested her head on my shoulder, and my hand wrapped around her waist. "I wanna talk to you about something." She whispered.

"Come sit outside with me." She stood up and reached for my hand.

I took it, and she led me outside towards the backyard area. It was all flower beds, freshly cut grass, and I could see some vegetables and herbs growing.

"She turned on the orange light by the door, and we sat on the wooden chairs. She kept Aiden tightly in her arms as she turned to face me.

"My hormones have been all out of whack lately." She began, "I haven't been feeling like myself lately. I've been tired, like exhausted. I haven't slept in a week."