Bonus Chapter 'Happy Mother's Day..'

Ava

Tomorrow was Mother's Day, and even though technically I wasn't supposed to buy a present for Dimitri, I didn't care.

It's been almost ten years since we've been together, and honestly, I was reprimanding myself for taking so long to make it official, but I finally got the adoption papers ready to go.

The adoption process was tiring, lengthy, and emotionally exhausting, but I knew it would be worth it once Dimitri saw it. I had sat down and spoken to Aiden about it.

It was an emotional conversation, and I teared up halfway, but when Aiden started crying and nodding his head, I knew it was worth it.

Aiden told me that he didn't care about a paper or not because he viewed Dimitri as a dad. I knew this, and I knew it was the same thing for Dimitri.

Papers were just papers, words, and ink, but I wanted to do something nice for my husband. We had been through trials and rocky bumps throughout the years, but in the end, we were always stronger, and Dimitri was always in my corner, always had my back and our children's.

So before sitting down with Aiden, I had phoned Noah and talked to him about it. I thought he'd fight me every which way he could, but since he only saw Aiden every other weekend, he was, thankfully, very easygoing about it.

He was supportive and said that if this was what I wanted, what Aiden wanted, he'd do it for us. He loved our children and me so much that I swear I could burst from it.

Every time I saw him play with Aiden and Alisa or when he'd hold me in his arms at night and whisper how lucky he was to have found us, I knew I had made the best choice of my life.

Little did he know that we were the ones that found him and God; we never, ever wanted or needed anything else in our lives. Just him. I knew he had a whole thing planned for Mother's Day.

Just like every year, it had become a tradition. Red roses, heart-shaped balloons, breakfast in bed, and our children giggled as they showed me the cards they drew all by themselves.

It always brought tears to my eyes as I laughed and smiled, surrounded by my loving family.

We even took a Polaroid picture each Mother's Day as a cherished keepsake of the occasion. Dimitri would buy me a gorgeous purse, a new dress, heels, and jewelry, but I swear, over the years, I didn't care what he got me.

I was more than happy just being married to him and having him as a life partner. While I feigned sleep, I could hear the clattering of my husband and our children in the kitchen and hallway.

The door creaked open, and I went along with it until they started jumping on the bed.

"Mommy! Wake up!" Our three-year-old Alisa screamed.

"Mommy! I know you're awake. I see your eyes." Our ten-year-old was too smart for us, and I sat up, yawning and stretching as I reached for them both.

"What's this?" I gasped as Dimitri stood with the biggest grin on his face holding the flowers, balloons, and a tray full of pancakes and fruits. "Is this for me?"

"Here, mommy, look at our cards." Alisa handed hers to me.

I opened it, and a pound of glitter fell onto the bed. I chuckled and gushed when I saw it.

"Do you love it?"

It was a picture of us holding hands with hearts, sparkles, and flowers drawn around us.

"I love it, baby. Thank you." I kissed and hugged her.

"My turn! My turn!" Aiden handed me his card. "Don't read it out loud." He murmured, his cheeks blushing.