Co-Dependent Lads

I open my eyes at first light, only to find that I'm one of the first ones to wake up

I open my eyes at first light, only to find that I'm one of the first ones to wake up. I glance around and see Orla sharpening her sword a dozen or so yards away.

I quietly sit up and slide out from under Bellamy's arm, trying not to wake him. I slide my sword into the sheath on my back and walk over.

She notices me, but doesn't pause in her work. "Sleep well?" She asks after a moment, setting down her sharpening stone.

I sit down next to her, nodding. "I hardly ever sleep well, so sleeping a few hours is good enough." I murmur, glancing down.

I see her nod from my peripheral vision. "When I first took a life, I was 7." She says, causing my lips to part. "Azgeda's commander is ruthless, she makes every child take a life before they turn 10." She says, her face impassive. "I went to war when I was 11 years old, and that singular life turned into 18." She swallows, looking down. She then brings her gaze to mine, icy and cold. "So trust me when I say this, I know how you feel."

I take in a deep breath before nodding. "Why aren't you in Azgeda now?" I ask, changing the topic.

I see her lips quirk up, "Because Heda knows that you and I are on good terms and she wants to keep the peace with you."

My eyebrows furrow. "She's keeping you here because of me? She told you that?" I ask, my tone growing higher in pitch.

She shakes her head. "No, but she's very easy to read compared to my brother."

"Your brother?" I ask, my eyes narrowing.

"Roan, my half brother." She nods to herself. "Same father, different mother, his mother being Nia." She pauses, thinking. "No one else knows that, so keep it to yourself."

I nod, confused. "Nia?"

She brings her gaze to mine. "Heda Nia kom Azgeda."

My eyebrows raise, causing her to smile lightly.

"I know, that's probably why she treated me like rubbish all of my life." She says, smirking. "She did teach me to wield a sword." Her smirk widens as she glances at her blade. She then brings her gaze to mine. "Care to see who is the better sword-wielder?"

My smile widens. "You're on."

-----------

A half an hour later, we're both drenched in sweat and a small crowd has accumulated around us. We circle each other like predator and prey.

I notice that Bellamy and Clarke are both watching me with narrowed eyes and apprehensive gazes.

I don't hesitate before clashing our swords together. I notice her dominant hand has slackened it's grip on the hilt, so I slam my sword against the hilt, knocking her sword out of her grip and launching it a dozen meters away.