Demonised Carbon Forms

"You want to apologise?" Indra asks, narrowing her eyes

"You want to apologise?" Indra asks, narrowing her eyes. She and I had met outside of the commander's tent.

"And tell her that I forgive her," I nod my head. "Yes." I say. "I also just want to spend some time with my sister."

"This is war, Hailey," She begins. "You cannot just hang out with your sister." She says, shaking her head.

"Who said that we would just be hanging out?" I smirk. "We're going to help out too, get the mountain men's trust and infiltrate from the inside." I half lie.

She once again narrows her eyes before reluctantly nods. "Fine, but you need to be careful with Cora." She mutters, using my sister's new name.

I tilt my head to the side. "Why?"

"Because," she turns away and looks at Cora's back as she picks up logs and throws them into the pit. "She does not trust you."

"I'll be fine, Indra," I sigh bringing my gaze back to her.

She holds my gaze before nodding. "I know." She says before turning to Cora. "Cora, your sister is here to see you!" She partly yells.

Cora drops the logs and turns, making eye contact with me. I keep my face still and limp, willing her to have an emotion show first.

"Hailey," A small smile makes it's way onto her face, so I mirror it.

"Riv," I nod my head, widening my smile to seem believable. "I believe the commander already told you?" I ask.

She nods. "That you want to infiltrate the mountain?" She quirks up an eyebrow. "Yeah, she did."

"You in?" I cross my arms.

"What do you think?" She smirks and I almost feel a little guilty.

------------

"So," Riv begins after a while of silence. "What's our plan?" She asks, glancing upward into the trees.

"We threaten them, tell them we have a person on the inside," I lie. "And we tell them that we have some sort of premium bone marrow or something and to let our friends go."

She snorts. "That's a terrible plan, but I'm in." She says before going silent. "Lexa also said that you wanted to apologise." She mutters, but I stay silent.

We made it to the spot. Prior to meeting Riv, Orla and I had agreed that it was best that I went alone and then we'd meet closer to the mountain so that when Riv figured out the actual plan, we wouldn't have that far to drag her.

"What's going on, Hailey." Riv asks all of a sudden. I lock eyes with Orla in the tree above her and subtly nod before I bring my gaze back to Riv.

I stay silent before taking a step back just before Orla lands on her back, dropping her to the ground. I watch as Orla gets Riv in a choke hold immediately, making her incapable of moving.

I crouch down next to her as her eyes flutter.

"You think I could ever forgive you for holding a knife to my throat?" I almost laugh. "It may seem petty but you're my sister, Riv or rather Cora." I scoff. "You bring mom's name to shame by going by it."

"You're just mad that she loved me more." She strains, jumping for me, but Orla stops.

"Oh, no, I'm not." I chuckle humourlessly as I tuck her hair behind her ear. "I'm mad that you have a father that loves you and I don't." I seethe as I tighten my fist around her hair, pulling it.

"Hailey," She whimpers as her eyes water with pain. "It's not my fault, okay?"

I narrow my eyes.

"It's not my fault that dad hates you, I didn't mean to put the idea in his head." She closes her eyes and a tear falls.

"What?" I careen my neck forward. "Put what idea in his head?" I glance at Orla and I see anger in her eyes as she gazes at Riv.

"I told him that you were baggage and that you were only putting us in danger." She cries out when I pull her face up to mine.

"You told him to turn me in?" My breathing becomes heavy as her eyes open and a sadistic smirk fills her face.

"Mum always loved you the most, so her death didn't matter to me." She chuckles. "It was dad's idea to send me to Earth."

Another smile curls on my lips. "You really just signed your death sentence you know that?" I shove my anger down and ball it up.

Her eyebrows furrow, her smirk gone. "W...What?" She stutters.

"I didn't know that you did any of that." I say, sitting back as Orla puts her back into a chokehold. "You had a better chance of living before that." I fiddle with the leaves on the ground while she struggles to breathe. "Now, you belong to the mountain."

------------

"I'm proud of you for keeping your cool." Orla says as we walk towards the mountain with a tied and gagged up Riv on her shoulder.

I glance over at her. "I saved the anger for later." I mutter.

I see her nod. "Smart."

I nod my head before we divulge into silence again.

It's not a long walk before we get to the mountain. Without even realising it, we've walked half way up the incline.

"So," Orla clicks her tongue. "What's our play here?" She asks.

I sigh, pressing my lips together. "Probably just sleep for now." I mutter, sitting down on a damp log.

Orla furrows her eyebrows but sits across from me. "Want to take first watch?" She asks.

I bring my gaze up to her before nodding. "Do you have anymore of that black stuff on your face?" I say, eyeing her blacked-out eyes.

A smirk comes onto her face before she nods, pulling out a canister and waving me over. I walk over and sit down in front of her.

"Any particular design?" She chuckles before she paints my eyelids.

I chuckle. "Nah, just make me look intimidating."

That makes her actually laugh. "What?" I ask, laughing through my words as she reaches for more charcoal.

She shakes her head, still laughing. "Nothing. Nothing." She smiles. "You don't need this to look intimidating, Reskripa." She smirks.

"With your skills," She continues. "Your smile is not taken in a lighthearted way." She murmurs, now focused. "It's taken in a heavy way, like you have demons on your shoulders, in your mind." She pauses.

"And in your heart."

a/n

SUMMER TIME SUMMER TIME SUMMER TIME

ITS SO FUKING HOT HERE OML

anyway :) hope you enjoyed this chapter because im liking evil!hailey

it's a vibe, but the question is...

do you agree?

lmk

i love youuuu sm,

abigail <3