Wine of Secrets

After we wake, Bellamy and I part ways, opting to help clean up the mess of our campsite and the grounders before we continue on our journey towards the commander's quarters

After we wake, Bellamy and I part ways, opting to help clean up the mess of our campsite and the grounders before we continue on our journey towards the commander's quarters. I stuff my sleeping bag into a bad that the grounders gave us and throw it into a cart. I turn around and am face to face with a man at least a foot taller than me.

I stare up at him, not moving backwards or forwards. "Ai laik Gustus." He says, introducing himself.

"Hailey." I say, nodding to him.

"I know," He says before turning to the rest of my people. "I need all of your weapons."

I clench my jaw before turning and nodding to everyone behind me with Clarke doing the same. I grab my sword off of my back and put it in the bin Gustus provided. Then I grab my handgun followed by all of my throwing knives, hunting knives, and switch blade.

After I'm done, I look up at Gustus to see his eyebrows raised. "All?" He asks, making me sigh before reaching into my boot and grabbing another knife. He nods before going onto everyone else.

I walk forward and lean against a stump, watching him pat down my friends when they refuse, or them throwing their weapons into the bin without hesitation.

My eyes narrow when I notice Raven scowling at him. "No, I'm not giving up my weapons." She grits, her teeth clenched tight.

I walk up to her, bypassing Gustus. "Raven, you need to give them your weapons." I say, my voice low and non-threatening. Her response is a glare. I sigh, "Don't make Finn's death be for nothing." I say, guilt filling my chest.

Her gaze hardens impossibly more before she puts her arms out, allowing Gustus to search her.

I nod in appreciation before walking backwards toward the small village nearby.

I see a stack of wood with a flat top and my heart drops. "They're going to burn him." I whisper, before sighing shakily.

I shut my eyes, willing his face to not appear and leave me with the peace of my mind. But, his round, childlike face appears in my mind.

"Hailey, Hailey, Hailey!" Finn yells, laughter filling his words as he runs after me. "You're going to miss today's engineering class!" He says, causing me to stop.

"What?" I ask, before running right past him, back the way we came. "We can't miss it! We have a project due on splicing and tying wires today!" I yell, turning around the corner and entering the workshop.

I smack my head right into someone's stomach, causing me to fall onto the floor. I glance up and see the instructor, chuckling. "You're late, Hailey." He says, turning around. "But, welcome to the class, please take your seat."

"Hi." A girl says from her place next to me, causing me to glance over at her. She blinks, her brown eyes furrowing as I just stared at her. She tilts her head, causing her black hair to fall from her shoulder. "I'm Raven."

I shouldn't be surprised that Raven blames me, but I am. I stand alone as Clarke ignites Finn's body in flames. Silent tears fall slowly down my cheeks.

I slowly shut my eyes and murmur my last goodbye to Finn before I rub away my tears and shove down my emotions.

I sniff before letting my face go slack. I can deal with the emotions later. Now, it's time to have dinner with our enemies.

—————

I sit myself down in a chair in between Clarke and Bellamy. I glance up at the former, which elicits her to ask, "You know you can't just shut it off, right?" Her eyebrows furrow.

I sigh before nodding. "Doesn't mean that I can't try." I murmur before Bellamy grabs my hand that is sitting on the table.

"We're both here for you," He murmurs before squeezing my hand. I squeeze back and send him a small smile in return.

"Rise," Gustus says, causing all of us to stand as Lexa walks in and sits down. I sit down and prop my elbow up on the table, earning a smirk from Lexa and a glare from Gustus. "Respect Heda, Bontch." Bitch.

"If anything, Gustus," Lexa begins, turning her painted face towards him. "It's you that should be respecting her." A small smirk plays on her lips before she nods her head at me. "After all, her kill count is higher."

I raise my eyebrows in acknowledgment before Lexa begins.

"Our alliance has begun and now we eat as one." She says before my father stands.

"Heda," He begins, causing my eyebrows to furrow. "For you," he says, offering her a pint of wine.

She hesitates before nodding in thanks and taking it. "Shall we feast?" She says before handing it to Gustus. He pours a cup and send a glare my way before he sips it.

I tilt my head, my eyes hardening.

"What's he doing?" Bellamy's whispers to me.

"Seeing if it's poisonous." I whisper back before Gustus nods and hands her back her cup.

She begins to lift it to her lips when Gustus' head slams onto the table as he begins to choke.

He lifts his eyes to point at me. "Poison." His eyes roll back into his head as he falls from the table.

"NOBODY LEAVES." Lexa yells out before she begins walking away.

"Lexa, please!" I scream, running around the table. "Please, we did not do this." I say, catching her eyes.

"If you're as infamous as I believe you are, then I wouldn't put it past you." She hisses before walking through the doors with them shutting behind her.

I step back and turn around. "Be honest with me," I say, my voice low and icy. "Did any of you do this?" I ask and everyone shakes their head except Raven. "Rae?" I ask, taking tentative steps towards her.

She glances up at me before shaking her head. "No, I didn't." She murmurs, before her eyes go back to her hands.

I reach out to her and lightly touch her shoulder, causing her whole demeanour to change. She pushes me to the ground and stands over me.

"DON'T TOUCH ME, YOU MURDERER." She seethes before sitting back down in her chair.

I watch her, my breathing relaxing and my heart beat returning to its normal pace. I slowly stand up and back away, but I stop myself.

"Y'know," I begin, anger filling my words. "I'm sick of you and your mindset. I," I point at myself. "Did not get Finn killed, he did it to himself trying to find his people." I seethe, getting closer to her. "So do not even think about putting the blame on me you selfish bitch." I spit out the last two words before walking back over to Bellamy and Clarke.

"Hey," Bellamy says putting his hand on my shoulder. I surprise him by wrapping my arms around his torso and he responds by setting his chin on my head. "It's okay." He murmurs

I shake my head, "No," I murmur into his chest. "I've made some mistakes, but I never expected to lose friends because of it." I raise my head to look him in the eyes. "I don't want to lose you, Bell." I mutter, my eyes burning with unshed tears.

"You won't, ever." He says, squeezing me tighter. "I'll always be here."

"The whole time?" I ask, tilting my head.

He chuckles before setting his forehead on mind. "Yeah," He says, his breath fanning my face. "The whole time."

————————

A/N

tell me why i am suddenly wanting to turn hailey into a villain 🤨
anyway, pleaseeee eat and drink something :)
love you,
abigail