Chapter 23: A new Shadow

It didn't take them long to reach their destination. Thanks to Kei's help, Atalanta and Merlin found the position of the kidnapped students, which was a boring-looking castle.

 Thanks to Kei's help, Atalanta and Merlin found the position of the kidnapped students, which was a boring-looking castle

"Whoa, a mansion. So cliche; must be a generic villain to be this boring." Said Merlin with a disinterested look and a gloomy voice. Atalanta made her opinion known as well.

"I don't care what type of villain he is. Those who attacked children deserve to die or be tortured for eternity!" She yelled as she was getting worked up. She wouldn't have a problem killing anyone but children were always a no-go.

Rushing at the entrance, followed by a smiling Merlin who looked like he didn't care, Atalanta destroyed the main door with a turning kick. And like any boring villain, he had some of his minions were already waiting for them.

But it wasn't normal enemies. Merlin lost his smile when he saw them. Atalanta frowned, clutching her bow in her right hand. Before them, several soldiers, but they weren't normal, they didn't have a real body, no, they had a body made of black matter. Dead bodies.

No flesh, no blood, no muscles, no will, the only thing that remains were the souls, screaming in pain, regret, or yet anger.

The duo didn't have time to speak that several soldiers were already at their throats

The duo didn't have time to speak that several soldiers were already at their throats. Acting quickly, Merlin tapped his staff on the ground, creating a flower barrier, protecting him and the cat girl. Atalanta didn't waste any time and jumped back, readying her bow.

She fired three spiritual arrows at the dead soldiers, which destroyed the ones who were charging at her. She was about to aim at different enemies when the ones she shot down reappeared from the ground.

"Fuck." Atalanta cursed. This was the first time that someone she shot with her arrow was not dead on the spot, but everything was clear to her now. They can't be killed if they're already dead. She felt so dumb for not remembering now.

Meanwhile, Merlin was having his own trouble. Unlike Atalanta, he already knew he couldn't destroy them with normal attacks, he had to aim right. Not to their body, but to their souls. The magus, known as the strongest of his generation, had several spells in his arsenal to do so.